systemd

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Spixi

systemd

Post by Spixi »

Hi there,

i really enjoy Salix OS. I tried OpenSuse, Ubuntu and Debian before, however this it is the only distro which is able to handle my SIS Mirage 3 OnBoard graphic chip with a screen solution of 1280x800. I do really enjoy XFCE 4.6, because it makes much less trouble than Gnome or KDE on my notebook. There are only two unkind things to consider: The lesser problem is that I am unable to configure LILO because of a corrupt MBR from an earlier PowerQuest BootMagic installation. But my old 16 MB USB flash drive has a new purpose: containing syslinux. The larger issue is, that it takes approx 5 minutes until Salix enters runlevel 4.

When I tried OpenSuse, the startup took only a few seconds. In my opinion this is because OpenSuse uses systemd instead of init, udev and consolekit. Do you think that systemd would increase the performance of Salix OS or is your opinion that a bonsai has to grow slow with love and a lot of KISSes? Will systemd be included by further Salix releases or will you wait until Salix' big brother Slack does the huge step to a modern competitive open source operation system?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: systemd

Post by thenktor »

Spixi wrote:The larger issue is, that it takes approx 5 minutes until Salix enters runlevel 4.
You have some problem here, that's not normal behaviour.
Spixi wrote:Will systemd be included by further Salix releases or will you wait until Salix' big brother Slack does the huge step to a modern competitive open source operation system?
Salix will always use the same init system like Slackware.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Shador

Post by Shador »

thenktor wrote:
Spixi wrote:Will systemd be included by further Salix releases or will you wait until Salix' big brother Slack does the huge step to a modern competitive open source operation system?
Salix will always use the same init system like Slackware.
Nevertheless one could consider to provide a kinda plug'n play alternative providing systemd. I never tried it myself, but it seems no problem to have systemd and another init method installed at the same time. You could choose during boot through the init= kernel argument which one is used. The only problem seems to get all those service definitions for systemd as otherwise there would be little benefit obviously.
Let's see ... maybe I'll try one day systemd with Arch and am so convinced that I want to try it on Salix too. :D
Adys

Post by Adys »

FWIW and JFYI,

udev will be merged with systemd http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/17392
After udev is merged into the systemd tree you can still build it for
usage outside of systemd systems