Stripped SRC Kernel

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Atip

Stripped SRC Kernel

Post by Atip »

In VL distro they include a stripped src kernel version reducing it from 65 Mb to 15 Mb.
I like that idea and actually use it to get Nvidia started.

Any such thoughts for Salix?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Stripped SRC Kernel

Post by JRD »

kernel-headers is just that. The only problem is that pat has stripped it down a bit too much and so you need the whole source for building things like nvidia and the like.
In the future, we could provide an upgraded kernel-headers, just a bit bigger than the one Pat done, that doesn't require the whole source to compile some common third-parties modules.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Do you know exactly what is stripped that would be needed? For my custom kernel package I used the headers as selected by the official kernel Slkbuild for the headers_install - I think it was called. And that was more or less the same as in Pat's package (there's no slackbuild or anything for that by him). Actually kernel-headers and kernel-source contain completely different files (unlike solibs vs normal package which are not disjoint). So it seems to make it work without full source one would have to add non-header stuff and the packages wouldn't anymore be disjoint, which raises the question how to handle the installation of both packages.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I had a list for former kernel (for Slack 13.0) but not for 13.37. But I can find it again.
Dealing with common files from both packages is not a problem at all, and furthermore, it's exactly the same files.