Include xfce4-volumed by defalut in xfce.

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Tideflat

Include xfce4-volumed by defalut in xfce.

Post by Tideflat »

With almost all laptops and quite a few keyboards having volume buttons, is there a good reason why we don't include xfce4-volumed be default on the xfce version? Having it there will make the volume buttons work on a fresh install, the experience just that much better.
ElderDryas

Re: Include xfce4-volumed by defalut in xfce.

Post by ElderDryas »

gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Tideflat wrote:With almost all laptops and quite a few keyboards having volume buttons, is there a good reason why we don't include xfce4-volumed be default on the xfce version? Having it there will make the volume buttons work on a fresh install, the experience just that much better.
Actually the only reason might just be that there hasn't been much demand for it yet.
ElderDryas wrote:Been there, argued that...lost.

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=840
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything about xfce4-volumed in that thread. You asked "about a more generalized solution to this that won't require users to set their keys up manually". My answer was "I have no idea, I don't have any PCs with media keys". Had you actually suggested that xfce4-volumed does that, I wouldn't have any problem accepting it. But you asked us to find a solution for your problem while we had no means of doing that. Akuna actually asked you if you had any solution, but you failed to answer. Maybe you thought that rambling about "sentiments" in the forum was more useful. Other than suggesting the solution yourself or you sending me a laptop with media keys so I can try it, there was nothing I (or anyone else) could do. So, yes, you lost, but not because you argued, rather because you didn't. Next time, try making your suggestions smarter. ;)
antmon

Post by antmon »

My story: I bought a laptop and found that the only keys that worked (I'm talking about the programmed keys in laptops that change backlight and volume etc) was the backlight keys. Searched the forum and found xfce4-volumed. Worked like a charm and I think it could be included in xfce, making it more laptop friendly. I say this because I wont buy another desktop computer, I just like laptops allot.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

It will in the next version, probably.
I see no reason to not include it.