Setting up hibernate

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
qweasd

Setting up hibernate

Post by qweasd »

Hi! I just got a new lappy for my gf from Zareason, and she refused Slackware as too geeky, so I sold her on Salix. She especially liked the tree logo :)

Anyhow, I installed 32 KDE version, and everything seems to be working great except for suspend to disk (hibernate), which pretty much shuts the computer down, as far as I can tell. Then I press the power button and it boots normally. I never set up hibernation in Linux, so this is the first place I went. I am assuming my firmware plays nice, since the laptop is Linux-certified. Do I need to configure something? Upgrade the kernel?

By the way (and somewhat off-topic), what is the Salix way of kernel upgrade? In Slackware I just roll my own, more or less as outlined in tutorials. Is it safe to do the same in Salix?
Shador

Re: Setting up hibernate

Post by Shador »

qweasd wrote: By the way (and somewhat off-topic), what is the Salix way of kernel upgrade? In Slackware I just roll my own, more or less as outlined in tutorials. Is it safe to do the same in Salix?
Yes, of course. But you can also get a more recent package here if you want: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3562
qweasd wrote: Anyhow, I installed 32 KDE version, and everything seems to be working great except for suspend to disk (hibernate), which pretty much shuts the computer down, as far as I can tell.
Anything else? Not much to tell from this. Is there something in a logfile e.g /var/log messages? What if you invoke pm-hibernate directly? Maybe you need to create a file in /etc/pm/config.d/ with this content:

Code: Select all

HIBERNATE_MODE=shutdown
This prevents hibernate putting your laptop in a sleep state like s4/5 which doesn't work on some hardware. Instead it uses a regular shutdown after storing the disk hibernation image. (Need this on my Lenovo X121e e.g.)
qweasd

Post by qweasd »

Shador wrote:
qweasd wrote: Anyhow, I installed 32 KDE version, and everything seems to be working great except for suspend to disk (hibernate), which pretty much shuts the computer down, as far as I can tell.
Anything else? Not much to tell from this. Is there something in a logfile e.g /var/log messages? What if you invoke pm-hibernate directly? Maybe you need to create a file in /etc/pm/config.d/ with this content:

Code: Select all

HIBERNATE_MODE=shutdown
This prevents hibernate putting your laptop in a sleep state like s4/5 which doesn't work on some hardware. Instead it uses a regular shutdown after storing the disk hibernation image. (Need this on my Lenovo X121e e.g.)
Thanks! I tried shutdown, but it didn't do it. After poking around, I figured out I had to boot the kernel with resume=/dev/where-swap-is. Well, actually I did that in Slackware, so I assume it would work is Salix as well.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Yes, of course. ;) That's probably it.
antmon

Post by antmon »

I have salix xfce x86_64 13.37 with the new kernel. When I select hibernation from the log out menu in xfce, the screen goes out and back on again. I tried pm-hibernation and it works and I don't have no file in /etc/pm/config.d. How do I name this file? Or do you have another idea?
Shador

Post by Shador »

What's logged by dmesg or /var/log/messages when hibernating through the menu? pm-hibernate works?
antmon

Post by antmon »

Well I don't know what happened but after hibernating for a couple of times with pm-hibernate, when choosing hibernation from the xfce logout menu it started to work. Strange. thanks for the help.
antmon

Post by antmon »

Well, after this long I can't hibernate again. And from what I see in dmesg it's just a line saying the interrupt for the lid is not configured. Now that I have a 60Gb ssd to install. I guess I leave hibernation out now that I'm changing to an ssd drive.