Salixos (opinion)

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
macondo

Salixos (opinion)

Post by macondo »

This last weekend i installed a second hd and went beserk installing Vectorlinux, Absolute Linux, Debian Testing.
VL and AL, never allowed me to finish the installations due to bugs, Debian couldn't connect to the servers, total fiasco, finally my connection to any server went kaput; the ISP sent somebody to fix it and replace the router.

I wanted Absolute to work 'cause the kernel was the latest, but a kdelib bug stopped the installation cold.
So, back to Salix, installation is great, apps to configure are excellent, everything works fine, it stays on my box.

Suggestions:
1. OS has to come with the latest stable kernel, new users with new laptops need it.
2. There should be an option during the installation to install grub or lilo (user's choice).
IMHO, this would increase the user population.
Tim CowChip

Re: Salixos (opinion)

Post by Tim CowChip »

Most users are not familiar with Lilo. It can be used to boot from other partitions by UUID or path and you should be able to access OS's that use grub as their boot loader. Salix comes with a Lilo configuration tool for those who are unfamiliar with Lilo. Its really is a simple and easy to use boot loader, but those used to grub are put off by it at first. Give it a try and I think you'll come to appreciate the KISS approach used in installing Lilo by default.

As far as the new kernel being available
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3562
ImageImage
macondo

Post by macondo »

I use lilo with 2 hard drives, works fine and it's easy. My point is: if you give the option to choose, the OS would be more popular.

Ditto for the kernel, who's gonna jump thru hoops?
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

ImageImage
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The less-than-fresh kernel is a problem that comes with having Slackware upstream. However, Slackel uses current - with the downside of reduced stability:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... kel#p23792

Shador recently packaged a newer kernel which should bring the same benefits of improved hardware recognition and support, while leaving everything else (packages) unchanged:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=kernel

It's worth reading the thread carefully before trying this at home. But basically, pretty straightforward ;)
Shador

Post by Shador »

If you don't read it carefully enough nothing bad would happen either. I don't think I gave any critical remarks. OK, you should get the core straight. (Add repository, ) upgrade kernel packages and update bootloader. If you miss some of the other hints non-crucial stuff could stop working. But that's it and you can still come back then and read more carefully.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

The point not being that those are available somewhere but rather :
macondo wrote:who's gonna jump thru hoops?
This observation merely states reality, at least in general.

However the idea behind Salix is to be a 'true' Slackware (same packages and version) with an added basic package dependency management + handy system management tools. Which is why it is said to appeal to the 'lazy slackers'.

But if they go against the conservative approach deliberately exercised in Slackware (and therefore Salix) choice of packages and versions, these suggestions could very well be adopted by a distro based on Salix with a slightly different philosophy. Such as Slackel (as Mimosa pointed out) which is basically a 'current' (or bleeding edge) KDE edition of Salix/Slackware. Such distros would certainly appeal to a larger segment: the 'impatient lazy slackers'. :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Akuna wrote: .... the 'impatient lazy slackers'. :)
Akuna, my friend. I like it. :D
I just have to add that wise slackers always have a partition with Salix stable on their pc.
zazlox

Post by zazlox »

i read patrick interview on this link and clear too many questions about slackware on my mind , really good and intersting interview

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... re-949029/

maybe will be usefull for slackware new comers to understand slackware philosophy .
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it.