[SOLVED] Need help rotating a video file (.3gp) 90 degrees

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: [SOLVED] Need help rotating a video file (.3gp) 90 degre

Post by gapan »

Dennola4 wrote:1) how do you know ahead of time where a compiled package installs? I have scrolled through all docs (makefile, etc) and I can't find it.
Run

Code: Select all

./configure --help
and it will show you what the default prefix is. It's usually /usr/local.
Dennola4 wrote:2) how would I know, for the future, which of any two locations takes precedence in PATH?

Code: Select all

echo $PATH
Dennola4 wrote:3) may I assume that removal of this package is done by cd'ing to the build environment and running #make uninstall?
Maybe. Not all projects have a make uninstall rule and even if they do, it's not entirely certain that it works. You might end up needing to delete files one by one. You might want to have a look at paco, or something similar.
Dennola4 wrote:Also, regarding the PM not tracking the newer ffmpeg, I have a directory called /Downloads/Packages which is exactly for itemizing self-installed packages and briefly describing their functionality and useful commands, so no problems there.
Unless your notes include the location of each and every file that is installed by that software, you still might have problems when you'll want to remove stuff.
Dennola4

Re: [SOLVED] Need help rotating a video file (.3gp) 90 degre

Post by Dennola4 »

Wow.

Really good stuff to know. I realize this is all just Linux 101, so I appreciate your extra help. Will check out paco.
Gapan wrote:Unless your notes include the location of each and every file that is installed by that software, you still might have problems when you'll want to remove stuff.
Actually my installed packages are usually either Slackbuilds or .txz packages created with src2pkg and installed with spkg. Since I keep each self-installed package in its own build environment, if I want to remove it I cd to it, su -l (true shell to avoid path conflicts), then run # spkg -d /path/package.txz . Every once in awhile there are stray files I have to hunt down, but I downloaded slocate, so finding them isn't too difficult.

Again, thanks so much for your very helpful, detailed responses.

:D

EDIT: Just installed paco. Sweet.
There are no stupid questions.