I can't log in!

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
shad91

Re: I can't log in!

Post by shad91 »

Ubuntu - which was fairly good until the 9.10 version came out and all my stuff didn't work.
then go back to 9.04 if that worked. Mepis is favored by a great deal of former Ubuntu users.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Well, I'm sorry that this hasn't worked out for you, but if you have something that does work right, and you're satisfied by it, then stick with it!
Gemma

Post by Gemma »

Listen to me: whatever you say about hanging on or anything else, you MUST make our operating system more user-friendly. I am sorry to say this, but it is way beyond my skills to manage an installation of this kind - to be confronted with questions such as "toggle bootable flag" leaves me standing.

I have managed to install Ubuntu several times during my failed attempts to install Salix - but as mentioned, Ubuntu does not do what I need it to - but then neither does yours.

I find it extremely frustrating that so-called easy-install software should require what seems to me to be expert level knowledge.

I continue in my search for an OS that works for me - and that is possible to install with the aid of a coffee machine.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Thanks for stopping by, hope you'll find what you're looking for, although I honestly doubt that.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Gemma wrote:I find it extremely frustrating that so-called easy-install software should require what seems to me to be expert level knowledge.
We don't provide an easy install OS, we aim at advanced users that don't want to mess with the much more complex Slackware installation.
I'd suggest you to buy a Mac which comes ready to use with a good and easy to use OS.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

@gemma: There are Linux distributions designed for ease of use. I dare say Ubuntu isn't harder to use than a Mac or Windows if you treat it like most people treat Windows. Most people cannot and will not EVER install their own OS. It doesn't matter if it's Windows (definitely more difficult to install than Ubuntu) or MacOS. They run what comes with their machine. If you buy a machine preloaded with Ubuntu from Dell or one of the Linux specialty vendors it will just work.

Ubuntu supports its releases for 18 months. There is no reason you have to upgrade every six months. That is a trap. On my hardware Ubuntu 9.04 was problematic and 9.10 works perfectly without any special work needed. It all depends on the hardware you are running.

Finally, you are judging Linux, all 600+ distributions, by difficulty with an Ubuntu upgrade and then a distribution in SalixOS designed for advanced users. You are not and never were the target audience for SalixOS. You would have done better with Mandriva 2010 or Linux MInt 8 or something designed with folks like you in mind.

The last point, which has already been made, is that any time you change the way you do things there is a learning curve. Linux Torvalds, the creator of Linux, once compared changing operating systems to "performing brain surgery on yourself." Unless you are willing to devote some time and effort to the learning curve involved your chance of succeeding with Linux was nearly nil to begin with.

Right now you say Linux isn't user friendly. I say you made some poor choices and weren't willing to do the work required. In my experience people who stick with Linux for six months wonder how they ever managed with Windows. People who give up quickly tell the world how awful Linux is when, in fact, if they were migrating from Linux to Windows with no previous Windows experience they'd undoubtedly have precisely the same sort of experience if not worse.

I can't tell you what to do. If you are willing to live with a big, slow, bloated OS with horrendous security by all means stick with Windows. For some of us the cost of running Windows is just too high.
shad91

Post by shad91 »

well said caitlyn

:!: