Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

Post by gapan »

In preparation for the Salix 14.0 release, Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1 is the first development release in this series. Two installation images are available, for 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, respectively.

These installation images are in alpha state and are mainly targeted at developers/packagers. There may be a lot of features and software still missing that is not ready yet and will obviously be present in a final (or even a beta) release. Examples of such missing software is libreoffice, exaile, sourcery, flash plugin etc. This missing software will gradually enter the current repositories until everything is in place for a final release. Also, some included software might need QT to work properly (like the wpa_supplicant GUI), but QT is not installed in the Xfce edition. These will too be fixed until the beta release. There may also be some packages that are installed that are actually not needed anymore in a default installation.

There have been a lot of changes since 13.37. A lot of applications that we had as default are not GTK+3 only and we'll probably try to stick with GTK+2 applications for a default installation for this release. GTK+3 is available in the repositories in any case, and we'll probably try to find a way to make GTK+2 and GTK+3 apps have a uniform look. The most visible replacements to the users are that most GNOME-related software has been replaced by their MATE equivalents. So, file-roller has been replaced by mate-file-archiver (engrampa) and evince by mate-document-viewer (atril). Also, Brasero has been replaced by Xfburn. These changes may be temporary and may change until the final release.

Xfce has had a major version bump to 4.10 with lots and lots of new features. Technically, the most important change is that the huge single Xfce package has been split in several small packages, which will make it easier to install xfce applications in non-xfce environments.

The Salix current repositories are not yet on par with the 13.37 ones in terms of available software, but packages are continuously built and entering current. In terms of Salix customization, the new artwork is already there and there is also a brand new salix-codecs-installer that should be tested.

Anyone who installs these iso images, make sure you keep an eye on the Slackware and Salix changelogs. Lots of stuff are still subject to change.

32-bit changelogs:
Slackware: ftp://ftp.slackware.org.uk/slackware/sl ... ngeLog.txt
Salix: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/current/ChangeLog.txt

64-bit changelogs:
Slackware: ftp://ftp.slackware.org.uk/slackware/sl ... ngeLog.txt
Salix: http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/current/ChangeLog.txt

The iso files should be compatible with hybridiso technology, so you could just use dd to put them on a USB stick. They can be downloaded from the following links:

Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1 (32-bit)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(size: 536 MB, md5: 0a3f36515db61e91c6444535a4b3eb77)

Salix64 Xfce 14.0alpha1 (64-bit)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(size: 506 MB, md5: f6b39f25b6f0f4e3a249363b45096812)

Have fun with these and please report any problems you may find.
Andyun

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

Post by Andyun »

I noticed two features to install:
1. Detected some kind "sr disk", although it I have no it - only "sda disk".
2. The CD is not ejected at the end of the installation.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Andyun wrote:1. Detected some kind "sr disk", although it I have no it - only "sda disk".
Thanks, I noticed that too. I think I already fixed in git, so it should be OK in the next beta release.
Andyun wrote:2. The CD is not ejected at the end of the installation.
OK. Can you start the installation CD again, and exit as soon as the installer starts? You don't have to reinstall the system. Then, in the command line, assuming your CD drive is /dev/sr0, can you test if

Code: Select all

eject -s /dev/sr0
ejects your CD? If it doesn't, does removing the -s option work? You could also test this on your installed system as root.
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

In installer CD ejected only with the parameter -s, if without it:

root@salix:/# eject /dev/sr0
eject: /dev/sr0: Input/output error
In installed system works with(out) the parameter -s.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Andyun wrote:In installer CD ejected only with the parameter -s, if without it:

root@salix:/# eject /dev/sr0
eject: /dev/sr0: Input/output error
Same here
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That's weird. The -s option is already used by the installer. But maybe I put it there after I created the initrd, so it's not really there in the alpha. (EDIT: yep, that's it. Consider it fixed now. I also created the 64bit initrd later, so that one should work fine in the alpha too)
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

gapan wrote: The iso files should be compatible with hybridiso technology, so you could just use dd to put them on a USB stick.
Though it may not be a trouble-free installation media option,
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... rid#p23268
IMO it is the easiest and most economic way to install an OS, which usually doesn't require saving the installation media indefinitely. And it helps save the planet from tons of discarded optical media
Thanks gapan for providing this choice.
ImageImage
ikke

Post by ikke »

Just to say : congratulations and thank you!

Will start testing when the live edition is available.

Regards,
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

I had some trouble with the usb install of salix-xfce-14.0alpha1. It wouldn't boot, but after running

isohybrid salix-xfce-14.0alpha1.iso
it booted.

I started downloaded the iso at 6:30am Pacific Daylight time (Oregon) so it may already be fixed.
ImageImage
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Tim CowChip wrote:I had some trouble with the usb install of salix-xfce-14.0alpha1. It wouldn't boot, but after running

isohybrid salix-xfce-14.0alpha1.iso
it booted.

I started downloaded the iso at 6:30am Pacific Daylight time (Oregon) so it may already be fixed.
Yes, thanks for that. It seems that I didn't really run isohybrid on the 32-bit iso. The 64-bit iso should be OK as it is though.