Virtual machine, chroot or 32bit installation

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Virtual machine, chroot or 32bit installation

Post by laprjns »

Tim CowChip wrote:Unfortunately the installer ate the remaining partition with my Bridge installation and everything that I had saved to use again with salix like my new id_rsa for example. I'll back it up online next time I guess, though that doesn't seem to be a real secure method.
Are you sure that the installer over wrote the partition or was it a user error. If it was the installer (which I can't believe) then its a pretty serious bug.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

It was user error. When I re-sized my the swap partition adjacent to sda2 (where my Arch install resided) it crossed a barrier or something and sda2 showed up as a broken link when I tried to mount it.
ImageImage
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

After trying to triple boot a 64bit and 32 bit platform for package builds as well as another OS for my own personal use, I have decided to give my little 160Gb hard drive a break and install just one OS for my own use and run Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1 with vmplayer on Arch (my choice for many reasons that I won't go into here).

If anyone else has tried this, I would appreciate any advice; else I will post my progress here for anyone who might want to try doing the same.

EDIT

Replace vmplayer with virtualbox
ImageImage
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Tim CowChip wrote:After trying to triple boot a 64bit and 32 bit platform for package builds as well as another OS for my own personal use, I have decided to give my little 160Gb hard drive a break and install just one OS for my own use and run Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1 with vmplayer on Arch (my choice for many reasons that I won't go into here).

If anyone else has tried this, I would appreciate any advice; else I will post my progress here for anyone who might want to try doing the same.

EDIT

Replace vmplayer with virtualbox
Just install Salix and then preferably install the kernel-source package and also the guest additions. That's all.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

Virtualbox runs very slow on my hardware. I have re-installed Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1 x86_64 on a "real" partition and will now try the chroot option for 32 bit packages.
ImageImage
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Yes, the virtualisation route calls for fairly serious hardware - more serious than mine, anyway.

However it's an attractive idea, especially given VirtualBox's "snapshots" feature.

I'm interested in investigating the chroot method too. Please post on any hurdles you encounter, and so will I!
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

After reading further

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 74&p=22132

I have re-installed Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1 x86_64 on ext4(/) & btrfs(/home) partions

EDIT

I have been informed that a btrfs partition isn't necessary to use shador's chroot tools
ImageImage
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

Shador was right when he said:
Shador wrote:
:arrow: Alternative: Chroots (not lazy people :P)
I found an interesting alternative here that gave the idea to boot Salix Live Xfce 13.37.iso, upgrade it to 14.0 then making an upgraded iso to boot from using liveclone.
ImageImage