Newer kernel packages for 13.37

Here you can post links to your contributed packages.
Shador

Re: Newer kernel packages for 13.37

Post by Shador »

Yes, I guess it could work. Just replace the kernel files in the respective directories. Create a new bootable ISO and burn it or load it otherwise. Probably you need to rename the packages to remove the recent part.
But in any case. Why not just put the kernel files on an USB stick or whatever? You can just download the packages (.txz) files from the links I posted and install them with spkg -i resp. spkg -u from that media without needing any network access.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

Thank you Shador.
I'm going to install Salix-13.37-64-MATE on the machine in my daughter's bedroom and then

Code: Select all

installpkg kernel-huge-recent-3.3.6-x86_64-1ab.txz 
installpkg kernel-modules-recent-3.3.6-x86_64-1ab.txz
installpkg kernel-firmware-20120520git-noarch-1ab.txz
I'll post my results if all goes well.
ImageImage
Shador

Post by Shador »

Shador wrote:Thanks for reporting it. I'm going to look into it as soon as possible. But I'm quite busy otherswise atm and this is actually mostly cosmetic.
OK, I had a look at it. There's a rc.modules-3.3.6 file installed but I intentionally decided not to update the symlink because I thought most users would want to keep their old modifications and if not they can still change the symlink. But if you prefer it the other way, I can change it if you want. If I were to do this and you modified your rc.modules you would have to migrate those changes to the new rc.modules for them to take effect. To me it seems for most users that would be unnecessary additional effort.
Actually that's exactly the same approach chosen by Slackware so I tend to be a bit reluctant about changing it. The idea is only change that symlinks destination intentionally (i.e. manually) when you know that the new destination is alright.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

Tim CowChip wrote:Thank you Shador.
I'm going to install Salix-13.37-64-MATE on the machine in my daughter's bedroom and then

installpkg kernel-huge-recent-3.3.6-x86_64-1ab.txz 
installpkg kernel-modules-recent-3.3.6-x86_64-1ab.txz
installpkg kernel-firmware-20120520git-noarch-1ab.txz
I'll post my results if all goes well.
I had to reinstall Lilo once. It was defaulting to Windows and 0 seconds timeout. I set Lilo to default to "Internet" (Salix) with a "Games" (Windows) option and a 5 minute timeout for my daughter to chose. I have removed all the NIC drivers and hardware entries from XP.

I installed the new kernel, modules and firmware from the usb installation drive and edited Lilo accordingly. All went well with Salix connecting to wifi and her soundcard works better than it did with Fedora 16.

Thanks once again for providing the new kernel packages, Shador.
ImageImage
bklive

Post by bklive »

Sticky? I followed these instructions. Took me 5 minutes to upgrade to 3.3 and solve the one 'gripe' I had with salix (slackware, really). Great work!
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

thenktor wrote: I'm even using the BFS (scheduler).
:shock: !! I want to try that too! how can I enable it?
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Hi, Shador,

I'd like to thank you for all your work on these 3.3.6 kernels, as well as for the clear instructions, which allowed me to get my Broadcom 4313 wireless chipset working on an HP Mini 210 (http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3838). If you don't mind, I have a couple of n00bish questions I'd like to ask ...

I wasn't able to follow / complete the step below:
Shador wrote: Other hints
A short note regarding loopback: That functionality has been moved to a module (instead of builtin) with slackware current. For me that module wasn't autoloaded so resulted in mount failures at first. I recommend you add such a line to your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules in any case:

modprobe loopback
It's not compulsory of course. So if you have very specific needs you don't need to load it. But otherwise I would. Just makes your life easier.

Apart from that you might want to update your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules symlink to point at the new rc.modules-3.3.6-recent file. But that's absolutely not necessary, unless you feel you need it.
Could you please explain exactly where to add that line (i.e., in which section of the file)? (I opened up the file; it's very long and complex, with multiple sections. I didn't want to risk damaging something by adding a line in the wrong place, so I skipped this step of the procedure). Since you recommend doing it, I would like to add it.

A second question:
Now that I have the new 3.3.6 kernel installed, would you recommend removing / deactivating your personal repo from my sources list?

I assume that it would also be a good idea to restore the default settings in Gslapt regarding the exclusion of the kernel from upgrades? (i.e., Gslapt > Edit menu > Preferences menu > the "Excludes" tab)

It originally contained the line / entry

^kernel-.*
I discovered that I had to remove this in order to install the new 3.3.6 kernel. Otherwise, those kernel-related entries appeared in Gslapt with a padlock icon beside them and it prevented them from being installed.

Thanks for your help. :)
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Duncan_Idaho wrote:
thenktor wrote: I'm even using the BFS (scheduler).
:shock: !! I want to try that too! how can I enable it?
You patch your kernel source and compile the kernel yourself :mrgreen:

gaucho wrote:Could you please explain exactly where to add that line (i.e., in which section of the file)? (I opened up the file; it's very long and complex, with multiple sections. I didn't want to risk damaging something by adding a line in the wrong place, so I skipped this step of the procedure). Since you recommend doing it, I would like to add it.
It doesn't matter where you add it. So just add it in the last line.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Hi, thenktor,

Thanks for the clarification. :) I'll modify that file after work tonight.

My minor accomplishment last night was to install a TeX Live 2012 .iso from a USB thumb drive; it was the first time I've ever used this method (so there were missteps) but it worked in the end. I also managed to install the TeXworks editor via Sourcery. (I learned that you have to install the hunspell package before it will build correctly).
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260