Main idea ?

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
Shador

Re: Main idea ?

Post by Shador »

Hi Akuna, nice that you joined us. :)
Akuna wrote:* At first start on a pretty simple base that we really enjoy working on together & see how it grows
That's most important, I think. We're just few, though motivated, and can't even package and manage a whole ISO package set. So let's start of with something we have - Slackware - and then enhance it change it like we want it to have, trying to attract many people, but still keeping it KISS and clean. Then we can talk about the work intensive stuff, but that's not what we should focus on now.
Now only a clean, extensible and flexible base is important, which gives us still the possibility to go any way in the future. Wether a x86_64, Arm or whatever port, or a completely own package set, ...
Akuna wrote:* Aim to have a few installable LiveCDs each featuring a different DE, depending of our team members specific interests in developing these different medias. All these different DE should retain a common graphic signature as much as possible, without being necessarily as rigid as in Zenwalk.
Just start of with one of those LiveCDs and then add some others. I personally absolutely don't like it if you have to select which packages to install during the installation. That's just a simple package manager, although the installed package manager is much better suited for such tasks.
But I don't think that you have to be as rigid as Zenwalk. I personally like the ideas of multiple package sets. A core one, on which you can put different DEs or like Akuna suggested multiple LiveCDs for different DEs.
thenktor wrote:Just wanted to say, that there certainly will arise things that we have to change, because they won't get fixed upstream in Slackware.
I already have one. :mrgreen: So if somebody knows how to get a bug with a suitable patch fixed in Slackware tell me. I didn't find a way by now. :(
thenktor wrote:I like the idea of being close to Slackware. But not at any price.
I like that. :)
gapan wrote:I don't think we should care much about that. Our goal should be to create something we enjoy working on and using ourselves first.
That's very important imo. We shouldn't overwork ourselves ending up burned out. We don't even know if people will like our distro, so the least we can have is fun. :)

Puh, got a long post. :) But I've also missed quite something the last days.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Shador wrote:
thenktor wrote:Just wanted to say, that there certainly will arise things that we have to change, because they won't get fixed upstream in Slackware.
I already have one. :mrgreen: So if somebody knows how to get a bug with a suitable patch fixed in Slackware tell me. I didn't find a way by now. :(
email Pat directly. ;)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I really like the idea to be as close to Slackware as possible, not only because it means less work for us, but also because it means we can give back to Slackware community since all our tools will be compatible with all Slackware based distros.
I'm still not confortable with this, and feels it in my brain like a "boulet".
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

JRD wrote:
I really like the idea to be as close to Slackware as possible, not only because it means less work for us, but also because it means we can give back to Slackware community since all our tools will be compatible with all Slackware based distros.
I'm still not confortable with this, and feels it in my brain like a "boulet".
I think I'd prefer some more "do what we want" over "clue to slackware", too ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I cannot find the exact english word for "boulet" but this image speaks itself :
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Well... it's good to be somewhat realistic.

Zenwalk departed quite a bit from Slackware & the main advantage was that it was sort of bleeding edge, however the main drawback was that it was a bit unstable at time & security fixes were simply not implementable.

If we do not have the needed manpower to do something bleeding edge and stable and secure, then we should make some realistic, sustainable & pragmatic choices.

Staying close enough to Slackware so that we are totally compatible is quite smart... and that doesn't necessarily mean that we cannot be inventive. It simply means that we do not have to get bogged down with the hum drum nitty grities & instead that we can concentrate on the elaboration of fun tools that will have a greater usefulness than our immediate distro.

:)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.