Via Nano Processor

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Via Nano Processor

Post by mimosa »

Not sure if this is the right board for this topic, but here goes.

Has anyone seen this motherboard? Does it look adequate for Salix? I should say this is pretty cheap (perhaps the equivalent of 100 euros including 2 X 2GB RAM) to recuperate an otherwise defunct box. It's a 64-bit CPU ... This is in Portuguese, but should be comprehensible nonetheless:

http://www.kronnus.com.br/produto.php?c ... ard&cod=23

I'm afraid my eyes glaze over when I see hardware specs, and I don't understand what most of them mean :?

I'm currently running Salix on a machine with an Intel Atom chip and 2GB RAM. As long as the performance is at least as good as that, I'll be happy:

Code: Select all

root[vanilla]# uname -a
Linux darkstar 2.6.37.6-smp #2 SMP Sat Apr 9 23:39:07 CDT 2011 i686 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  330   @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Adys

Re: Via Nano Processor

Post by Adys »

I want to be clear: I have not tested any VIA chipset recently, so please read my next comments with that in mind.

In that page you linked to, there are no comments regarding Linux. The only downloads are for Windows. If VIA keeps "any" level of support for Linux, it may or may not support that specific model, depending on customers and user's requests.

So if VIA and Kronnus happen to be enough for you to get Linux working in that specific system, fine. But if not, then the question would be (IMHO), are there enough Linux users of such chipset family (and, better yet, of that mainboard manufacturer in your region) so to be able to get help and support (Linux "drivers"?) from them? Would that situation be acceptable for you?

Just a general thought. Sorry, no specific and useful answer.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Hi,

actually I see only one possible problem with this board: I have no idea if the GPU (graphic processor) is well supported in Linux. Google will help you to solve the this question. I don't think there will be problems with the other equpiment (network, audio, ...). Don't take this as granted, it's just my impression on first sight.

A Google request about the VIA Nano reveals that it should be faster than a Intel Atom. But I did not really read the benchmarks and there also may be differences in the available chip revisions.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks Adys and Thenktor.

Regarding video, in fact the bloke who's selling it to me has tested one he has at home with the Linux USB key I gave him. He said he had trouble with a YouTube video, but I don't think he knew he needed to install multimedia codecs. If he got as far as that he had X and he didn't say "the resolution was too low" or anything like that.

If the worst comes to the worst I'll just use the box for 64-bit packaging ;)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

After a day of use, I can report that this motherboard seems to work well with Salix. In particular, the sound quality is better than whatever I had before.