GCC in Slackware 14.0

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
Adys

GCC in Slackware 14.0

Post by Adys »

From http://www.slackware.com/announce/14.0.php
Installs gcc-4.7.1
From http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc-4.7/changes.html
The ABI incompatibilities have been fixed for GCC version 4.7.2 but as a result C++11 code compiled with GCC 4.7.0 or 4.7.1 may be incompatible with C++11 code compiled with different GCC versions and with C++98/C++03 code compiled with any version.
I just hope this won't be a problem in the mid / long term.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: GCC in Slackware 14.0

Post by JRD »

Email this to Pat. Maybe he didn't noticed.
Adys

Post by Adys »

I don't think he didn't notice, but that he decided to just freeze the never-ending development and testing, so to get 14.0 out.

With 14.0 already out, it will take some time to see any updates in "current".

In theory, GCC 4.7.0 and 4.7.1 should really be deprecated (and 4.7.2 should be used instead) so to reduce potential future incompatibilities (produced by the issue described in the aforementioned quote), but since it is not a security issue, I don't see Slackware 14.0 receiving an update for it. So now every distro (and/or relevant script) based on Slackware that wants to maintain 100% compatibility with 14.0 will be using the problematic GCC 4.7.1 :(.

I just hope that the resulting incompatibilities won't be _that_ many, and specially that they won't be a long-term issue.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Adys wrote:The ABI incompatibilities have been fixed for GCC version 4.7.2 but as a result C++11 code compiled with GCC 4.7.0 or 4.7.1 may be incompatible with C++11 code compiled with different GCC versions and with C++98/C++03 code compiled with any version.
Does it also mean C++ code compiled with any version is incompatible with C++ code compiled with 4.7.1 (AFAIK that may result in problems for Slackware users who want to use third party binaries)?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Adys

Post by Adys »

@thenktor,

I don't _really_ know the answer to your question.

My understanding (but I could be completely wrong) is that mixing binaries (that are expected to work "together") built using these different GCC versions may not work in the same way as they supposed to work. I mean, probably if _all_ is built with GCC 4.7.1, then it should work correctly (?). OTOH, maybe there won't be any problems, and the "incompatibility" may only mean that the building won't be exactly "reproducible" (?).

My concern is that, according to the GCC changelog, 4.7.2 is not just fixing some bugs in 4.7.0 and 4.7.1. My concern is that 4.7.1 (included in Slackware 14.0) is stated to be "incompatible" (well, at least regarding a specific matter).

You and The Salix Team are undoubtedly more knowledgeable to understand and evaluate the consequences. Maybe Pat would like to release some update in the near future (?), but I think fellow capable developers should evaluate this (as oppose to a simple mortal user as myself) and eventually suggest this update to him, if relevant.

Sorry I can't be of real help :oops: .