Latest SaLT and Liveiso images can't boot from cd/dvd rom

djemos
Salix Warrior

Latest SaLT and Liveiso images can't boot from cd/dvd rom

Post by djemos »

Making the last Slackel 14.0 using the latest version of SaLT, I encountered the same problem, a greek user announced here http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3974
So I downloaded and burned to dvd the salix mate live-13.37 which was created with the latest version of SaLT.
Boot from dvd rom drive and ooops I get the same error, which I had to SlackelLive-14.0 dvd's and i had to recreated after edit libSalt.
The version Salix Live MATE 13.37RC1 I made has no problem booting from cd/dvd rom drive, so I looked out to see what's wrong.

Code: Select all

Welcome to GRUB!

error: "prefix" is not set.
Searching for a device to boot from ...
checking: (memdisk)
checking: (hd0)
checking: (hd0, msdos4)
checking: (hd0, msdos3)
checking: (hd0, msdos2)
checking: (hd0, msdos1)
(hd1)
(hd1, msdos1)
checking: (fd0)

Error: Could not find the root device!
We've been searching for:
identfile: salix-mate-13.37-32.live
identcontent: (a series of numbers)

Available devices are: (memdisk) (hd0) (hd0, msdos4) (hd0, msdos3) (hd0, msdos2) (hd0, msdos1) (hd1) (hd1, msdos1) (fd0)

We're going to drop the rescue shell ...
and even a few lines with various directives prompts.
Making the installation on a usb , e.g. copying the contents of the isoimage on the usb and then running from the boot folder the install-on-USB.sh, the installation works.
The problem is with booting from cd/dvd

What's wrong, after much searching.

In the last edition in libSalt added the following

elif echo "$ LINE" | grep-i-q 'ext2 filesystem data'; then
 if echo "$ LINE" | grep-i-q '(extents)'; then
        # False ext2 filesystem, it's actually ext4 filesystem without journal
        echo 'ext4'
      else
        echo 'ext2'
      fi 
elif echo "$ LINE" | grep-i-q 'XFS filesystem data'; then
       echo 'xfs'

if corrected as in the previous version of SaLT 0.1.1

echo 'ext2'
       echo 'xfs'
then the livecd/dvd 's boot from the livecd/dvd rom.

Also on github in salt/initrd-template of SaLT missing folders dev, proc, temp, usr, var resulting in the improper creation of initrd.xz (445 KB instead of 1.8, 1.9 MB) leading to not boot isoimage with the message "I can not find the init"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Latest SaLT and Liveiso images can't boot from cd/dvd ro

Post by mimosa »

It's great that you've nailed this bug, djemos. :) I had the same problem a while back, there is a long thread about it.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:
In the last edition in libSalt added the following

if echo "$ LINE" | grep-i-q '(extents)'; then
        # False ext2 filesystem, it's actually ext4 filesystem without journal
        echo 'ext4'
      else
        echo 'ext2'
      fi 
       echo 'xfs'

Am sorry. So sorry! But my experience is totally different. But what you call a bug enables me to boot the LiveCD from a usb-stick (frugal install)

This was the patch provided to enable me to boot Salix / Slackel from an ext4 (without journal) formatted stick.

Kindly have a look at the previous post.

Anyway these lines were missing in the initrd of the latest Slackel. And that's why I could not boot it. I added them and now everything is OK.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

To boot from usb stick i use install-on-USB and i have no problem at all.
no problem also to boot in a virtaul box. But can't boot from cd/dvd rom.
As of latest slackel, read again what i said. Can't boot from livecd/dvd rom.
This patch made me to spent so many hours for two days maybe more to find this bug.
This was the patch provided to enable me to boot Salix / Slackel from an ext4 (without journal) formatted stick.
It is good for ext4 (i don't say you are wrong), but causes live iso to not boot from livecd/dvd rom.
This is more important to me. Otherwise livecd/dvd images becomes useless.

Salix-live-mate 13.37 has also this code inside initrd and can't boot from livedvd rom.

We have to look at it to find a solution.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote: This patch made me to spent so many hours for two days maybe more to find this bug.
I am really sorry. I agree with you that a live iso has to boot from a livecd/dvd. That 's essential. Otherwise these isos have little use.
Whether this patch is a bug, I guess we differ ...
It is good for ext4 (i don't say you are wrong), but causes live iso to not boot from livecd/dvd rom.
Sorry to learn this. Have to say that I do not see the link between an if test for ext2 / ext4 and the possibility to boot a livecd. But I repeat - and agree with you - livecd/dvd images become useless if one cannot boot from them.
We have to look at it to find a solution.
Cannot but agree. Suggest you forget about that patch and I apply it for my Salix / Slackel Live usb sticks

PS : Thank you for providing this nice slackellive-kde-14.0-64.iso.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Cannot but agree. Suggest you forget about that patch and I apply it for my Salix / Slackel Live usb sticks

PS : Thank you for providing this nice slackellive-kde-14.0-64.iso.
Thank you. I can say that if we can't find a solution, for the next version of salix live KDE, i will make liveiso with this patch for you and send you the link to download them. Don't worry. :)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Hum, I don't see the link between the detection of the partition type to mount AFTER booting the initrd and before passing the process to the distribution itself (here Slackel) and the problem you mentioned djemos, which is a message from grub (2), so BEFORE booting the initrd, so BEFORE reading any shell scripting.

I'm pretty sure you made another modification along the correction of these lines that makes the whole think works.
djemos wrote:Also on github in salt/initrd-template of SaLT missing folders dev, proc, temp, usr, var resulting in the improper creation of initrd.xz (445 KB instead of 1.8, 1.9 MB) leading to not boot isoimage with the message "I can not find the init"
The folders are missing right, but they are created using the the salt-scripts. I'm not sure you follow the correct way for creating the Live ISO, so maybe that the reason you have some problems.
[Edit] Ohhh my bad, these folders are missing because I forgot that git does not keep empty folders and I didn't think of it when I moved it from svn to git ! Sorry sorry sorry, I will make the correction right away…

Can we all three find a time to speak about that (and exchange some files to test) a evening ? Djemos and I are from Greece and France, so same time. What about you ikke ? Can we make a appointment one evening and find out what is really the problem and solve this for everyone ? What do you think ?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Ok...git updated with missing folders. Thanks for finding it.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

JRD wrote:Hum, I don't see the link between the detection of the partition type to mount AFTER booting the initrd and before passing the process to the distribution itself (here Slackel) and the problem you mentioned djemos, which is a message from grub (2), so BEFORE booting the initrd, so BEFORE reading any shell scripting.

I'm pretty sure you made another modification along the correction of these lines that makes the whole think works.
To create the live slackel dvd's (version 14.0 and latest slackel live kde-4.9.2), i removed the lines about ext4 and also i used the old create_iso.sh without the hybrid code.
In new iso extra code added about isohybrid. Look on github line 116,117 etc .... line 119

cp -v syslinux-$SYSLINUX_VER/utils/isohybrid.pl isohybrid

I don't know exactly what cause the problem the extra code in create_iso.sh file or both adding the if .... ext4 lines on libsalt.

I agree to meet on line and talk about it to solve the problem.

Edit: I add the code about ext4 in libSalt and create again the iso using the old create_iso.sh
I burnt the iso on a dvd and boot the pc. It boot without problem. So it has to do with create_iso.sh and isohybrid code. We have to look at this create_iso.sh script.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Ok right.

I experienced some problems too with isohybrid, so that does not surprise me. I think we could try to use xorriso instead of isohybrid, it uses a slightly different mechanism for putting a hard drive header in a ISO, and it may work better on some bioses than the plain old isohybrid.