Salix OS+Firefox = Chromium OS??

Other talk about Salix
phayz

Salix OS+Firefox = Chromium OS??

Post by phayz »

I want to build an equivalent system to Chromium OS - i.e. the Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh. My thoughts are that I can use Salix OS + Firefox as an equivalent system. There will be some differences in functionality but I believe I can get about 95% of what Chromium OS achieves and with an entirely FLOSS stack.

I'll report my progress and issues, perhaps with screenshots if I achieve my goal.

I wonder, though, if anyone else has already done so with Salix OS? I posted this idea on G+ and someone suggested BrowserLinux, which is based on Puppy Linux. The implementation is good but I'd prefer not to use yet another distribution since I already use 3 commonly. :D
jayseye

Re: Salix OS+Firefox = Chromium OS??

Post by jayseye »

A prioritized list of your requirements would help folks to reply most usefully. On G+ my username is Marc Paul Rubin < https://plus.google.com/u/0/102662062734138107918 >.
phayz

Post by phayz »

To clarify, I'm trying to achieve much the same functionality as is provided by a Chromebook:

An OS which boots quickly (up to 30 seconds) and presents the user a web browser in full-screen mode.

Extra details of what I'm seeking are:
* Built-in advertisement suppression. Installing an appropriate extension would achieve this goal.
* Multi-user support. Having multiple Firefox desktop icons would achieve this goal.
* Synchronisation of bookmarks, history etc. Enable Firefox's native synchronisation would achieve this goal.
* Printing support. Installing and configuring CUPS should achieve this goal.
* Domain blocking. Either "installing" an appropriate hosts file or doing this via my router should achieve this goal.

What I don't yet have worked out is the "wrapper" to all of this: a Linux distribution which boots quickly into the browser and only a browser, allowing the user to quickly and easily shut down the PC when they're finished.

My thoughts are to do a minimal Salix OS installation, probably Fluxbox edition, and instead of using GDM or similar, write an .xinitrc which starts Firefox immediately, perhaps followed by the "shutdown" command, so that exiting Firefox shuts down the PC without further user intervention.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I've done that for presenting a website in a forum (a real one, not a virtual one), so that people can use the computer without me having to be too carefull of what they can do.
In fact it is very easy, just write a custom xinitrc. For me I was running a bash script that run firefox, and if firefox is killed or closed, it wait one or two seconds, the restart it.
The only mean to shutdown was to switch to console (ctrl+alt+f1) then enter root password and then poweroff ;-)