Salix Xfce 14.0

sojurn

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0

Post by sojurn »

"In packaging terms, the most important change is that the huge single Xfce package has been split in several small packages, which will make it easier to furthter customize an Xfce installation and install separate Xfce applications in non-Xfce environments."

I use LXDE 13.37 now, might go with Xfce or Maté, its a close choice (have 14.0 installed). And this is a real blessing for non-Xfce users, along with hearing that LXDE is planned.

"As Xfce still is a GTK+2 environment (and hopefully, with the mess that GTK+3 is, will continue to be in the future), we have decided to stay only with GTK+2 applications for the default installation and GNOME applications have been replaced by their MATE and Xfce counterparts."

That sounds good, I like this philosophy of the development team. Conservative in some areas but new in others, like going with a webkit-based browser like Midori (I'll have to give it another try) among other things. And while staying flexible. Can't beat that.
Last edited by sojurn on 29. Nov 2012, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

zAchAry wrote:Are there news concerning to b43?

Code: Select all

http://salixos.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_upgrade_Salix_13.1_to_13.37#Obsolete_packages
Actually it's now easier than that using slapt-src. Just do

Code: Select all

root[rich]# slapt-src -u && slapt-src -i b43-firmware
and voila you have the firmware installed and a reboot away from a working wireless interface. Of course this assumes that you have an alternate internet connection.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
VastOne

Post by VastOne »

Very very nice release, thank you!
Conky, 18 Music Apps & Cover Art
GMusicBrowser | Tint2 How To

Words That Build Or Destroy - Dirt, Dry Bones, Sand And Stones
PackRat

Post by PackRat »

Nice work.

Running smooth on my HP laptop.

Have come across one issue though. Sometimes I cannot shutdown from the gdm screen after logging out. Screen blinks, then comes back to gdm screen. Has only happened three, maybe four, times. Random error, i suppose.
Last edited by PackRat on 29. Nov 2012, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
It does not require many words to speak the truth.
deserter

Post by deserter »

forgive my ignorant . I only need to run 'slapt-get -u ; slapt-get --upgrade' to get the final version if I'm runing 14.0 RC version, right ?

btw, Thanks for the devlopers!
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Congratulations to everyone on the development team for this release, and Thank you! :D I installed it tonight; everything is running smoothly so far.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I've found a workaround for the USB flatbed scanner problem I mentioned regarding 14.0RC2. (Note: This particular Canon model is powered only via USB; it does not have a separate AC power supply / wall wart):

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 5&start=40
(Post # 7 down from top of page)

If you get the error message "No scanners detected", just try this:

[ Optional Step A.: Reboot your computer before doing steps # 1 and 2 ]

1). Unplug your scanner from the USB port.
2). Plug it back in.

You should now be able to start up Simple Scan or XSane and have them scan without problems. I did a test scan with each program; they both worked normally.

I'm not sure why this works, but it works on my system ...
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
ikke

Post by ikke »

Let me start with repeating that Salix Xfce 14.0 is very nice indeed.

Am experiencing a strange problem. : sometimes I am not able to log in. System doesn't recognize my keyboard. Rebooting helps but not always. Got also the same problem with the RC3.

Thought there was something wrong with the installation CD. Checked the md5sum and it is OK.

Anybody experiencing the same problems? Anything I can do.
SoleSoul

Post by SoleSoul »

Impressive!

@ikke
Is it a USB keyboard? If so, does replugging it help?
I had this problem with a USB keyboard on Arch. It's not related to Salix. I don't know how to solve it apart from replugging the keyboard.
I use PS2 now.
ikke

Post by ikke »

SoleSoul wrote:Idoes replugging it help?.
Thank you for reaction.

Have been attaching two other keyboards. Problem remains. Rather sad ...

Regards.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Hum weird. I have no idea at all why you have this problem with your keyboard. Is your keyboard not working only under X or also in real Linux console?
What type of bootloader do you use, Lilo or grub2?