Salix Xfce 14.0

kcirick

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0

Post by kcirick »

NicePics13 wrote:[*]Slackware 14.0's usbboot hangs with my Aspire One netbook on the syslinux screen - so made an extlinux (ext2) loop stick with Salix kernel+initrd and that booted to setup extremely fast :o
I have Aspire One 722, and I had Slackware 14.0 usbboot hang problem as well (I don't recall this with Salix install, now that I think about it). The walk-around to it is to edit syslinux.cfg on the usb boot image, and set "timeout=12000" to something like "timeout=30" (3seconds). Then it works fine
NicePics13

Post by NicePics13 »

kcirick wrote:The walk-around to it is to edit syslinux.cfg on the usb boot image, and set "timeout=12000" to something like "timeout=30" (3seconds)
Well, having no keyboard input whatsoever you wouldn't have to wait as long for the bootup to fail. Slack's initrd loads and then just hangs at ready. This is with 14.0 (13.37 still worked) and a four year old Intel Atom netbook.
sphere

Post by sphere »

Will there be a Mate version of this?

Alternatively, I guess I can install a "core" install and do the rest from there?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sphere wrote:Will there be a Mate version of this?
Yes.
sphere wrote:Alternatively, I guess I can install a "core" install and do the rest from there?
Also yes.
sphere

Post by sphere »

Would it be rude to ask if you guys have a clue when it will be ready ?

Im getting a new laptop tomorrow, and Im planning as to what Im going to install on it after I toss out the garbage windows 8....
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sphere wrote:Would it be rude to ask if you guys have a clue when it will be ready ?
No, it wouldn't be rude, but the answer would still be "when it's ready".
sphere wrote:Im getting a new laptop tomorrow, and Im planning as to what Im going to install on it after I toss out the garbage windows 8....
It's not going to be ready tomorrow, that one's for sure. But installing mate on top of xfce is easy:

Code: Select all

slapt-get --install-set mate
slipstream6

Post by slipstream6 »

Hello Gapan,

RE:
... installing mate on top of xfce is easy:

Code: Select all

slapt-get --install-set mate
Will I be able to install fluxbox in this manner as well? Will I run into any problems if I install the Xfce desktop version first or am I better off waiting for the official 14.0 Fluxbox version to come out?

I really enjoyed Salix OS (fluxbox) 13.37 on my old workstation and want to stick with that desktop. I'm greateful for this simple, efficient and fun slackware distro!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

slipstream6 wrote:Will I be able to install fluxbox in this manner as well?
No, as fluxbox is not a set of packages, it's a single package, so just install it. You won't have any of the default user configurations that the fluxbox edition comes with this way though.
slipstream6

Post by slipstream6 »

Hello again,

Just wondering if the 14.0 Fluxbox version might be ready in around a month, if so I may simply wait for it. I've run into problems with window and desktop managers (with other distros) before and thus I think that I would be safer with the default config already setup....
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

slipstream6 wrote:Just wondering if the 14.0 Fluxbox version might be ready in around a month, if so I may simply wait for it.
Not very likely.