Salix Ratpoison 13.37

rrttdd

Re: Salix Ratpoison 13.37

Post by rrttdd »

Ratpoison is indeed a nice distribution.

Here are my ratpiosonrc changes so far:

Code: Select all

escape Super_L
definekey top Menu exec ~/.ratmenu/main.sh
Ctrl-T is used by too many programs I have. So I decided to use the Super Key as escape. The other line brings up the ratmenu whenever the otherwise useless (Win-)Menu key is pressed...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

The win key association is nice. I don't see a reason why it can't be part of the default settings with the next ratpoison edition.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Is that one keypress or Escape followed by Win-Menu? I imagine the former, in which case all the better.

However, it will bear testing. I just pressed that key (typing into this text box, in Vimprobable) and up comes some stuff. Looks like some edit menu (paste, Select, etc). Maybe it's xfce stuff. My current setup is based on xfce (Salix 14.0) booting into runlevel three and then launching xmonad via .xinitrc, so I'm not sure exactly what gets started.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Probably xmonad has its own binding for the windows key.
rrttdd

Post by rrttdd »

With that 2nd line, one simple keypress brings up Ratmenu on my system. ;)

Meanwhile I did some further improvement (for me!):

My Ratmenu main.sh:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

ratmenu -font \
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--48-480-72-72-c-240-iso8859-1 \
"[-Next Window-]" "ratpoison -c next" \
"[-Expose-]" "rpexpose" \
"[-Window X-]" "ratpoison -c delete" \
"Opera" opera \
"Terminal" xterm \
"NETWORK    -->" ~/.ratmenu/network.sh \
"File Manager" gnome-commander \
"ACCSSOIRS     -->" ~/.ratmenu/accessories.sh \
"MULTIMEDIA  -->" ~/.ratmenu/multimedia.sh \
"SYSTEM      -->" ~/.ratmenu/system.sh \
"RATPOISON   -->" ~/.ratmenu/ratpoison.sh \
With this configuration, I do most of the basic window controlling with Ratmenu. Win-Menu, Enter: Switches to next Window, Win-Menu, Down-Arrow, Enter: Expose...

I like this a lot, since these keys are all located on the right side of the keyboard, not too far away from each other, and I'm right-handed. So this configuration is very ergonomic to my opinion.
The Window-controlling entries are in [-brackets-], entries calling sub-menus are in UPPERCASE, direct program calls are normally written.
mrstordal

tmpwm?

Post by mrstordal »

I have tried to install mate window manager, and then run "ctl+t : tmpwm mate".
I tried to run a temporary window manager for a program that didn't work with ratpoison. But I didn't get it to work. What do I have to do to get the tmpwm command to work? Grateful for assistance. (Also, mate was just a random choice, so any wm that can handle "pop up windows" would be ok)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Maybe try something lighter, such as lxde or even xfce?

Though a diehard ratpoison user, I'm not familiar with the tempwm command (sounds like a great feature, if it worked). It occurs to me to ask how you installed Maté?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: tmpwm?

Post by gapan »

mrstordal wrote:I have tried to install mate window manager, and then run "ctl+t : tmpwm mate".
I tried to run a temporary window manager for a program that didn't work with ratpoison. But I didn't get it to work. What do I have to do to get the tmpwm command to work? Grateful for assistance. (Also, mate was just a random choice, so any wm that can handle "pop up windows" would be ok)
Mate is not a window manager. There is no "mate" window manager. Mate is a desktop environment that includes a window manager that is named "marco".
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/xwtf.html

Fortune cookie version:
How do you tell the difference between a WM and a DE? A DE has a WM, a WM has a choice.

Having said that I'm not sure which one xfce is these days. I'm not running Ratpoison at the moment (till it's released for 14.0) and I look forward to trying tempwm (thanks for the tip). I suspect the lighter the better. Maybe fluxbox ... I believe the repos contain fvwm, which is really light (or try pekwm, I know that's there). A quick search suggests the tempwm command may have trouble returning to ratpoison (how do you do that, by the way?) and I'd guess that the more features a given WM has, the more likely it is to do so.

It is actually possible to take something like Gnome and put a different WM inside it. The default around which it is built is metacity, but someone made a version with XMonad. I don't really even want to think what that's like.