Firefox 18 for Salix 13.37?

Other talk about Salix
jayseye

Firefox 18 for Salix 13.37?

Post by jayseye »

As a Salix 13.37 end-user, would there be any disadvantage to using the official Slackware package for Firefox 18?

For example the 32-bit version is http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/ ... k13.37.txz

Thanks!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Firefox 18 for Salix 13.37?

Post by gapan »

The firefox langpacks in the salix repos won't work with that.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

jayseye wrote:As a Salix 13.37 end-user, would there be any disadvantage to using the official Slackware package for Firefox 18?

For example the 32-bit version is http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/ ... k13.37.txz

Thanks!
There's no disadvatantage to using it for a Slackware end-user, though. Might be a good time to upgrade to Slackware-14.0.

http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/ ... ck14.0.txz
ImageImage
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks, gapan: Are the langpacks needed to view internationalized text, or just to have localized menus and dialogs? As a native English speaker in the U.S., the latter are superfluous, though the former are nice.

Good to see you back here, Tim. These days my main PC is a laptop, and it will continue to run Salix 13.37 until some of the other Salix 14 editions are released, particularly the Live ones for compatibility testing.

OTOH I'm much more adventurous on some test PCs, running Slackel right up to the bleeding edge. So the only things I get direct from Slackware are legacy kernels, some lighter alternatives to KDE, and now perhaps Firefox for 13.37.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

just to have localized menus and dialogs
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks, that went very smoothly! It's nice to have the choice now, between the Salix esr version, and the standard Slackware package.

I may add an EXCLUDE in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc to suppress the available "upgrade," unless anyone can suggest a better solution...

Have also been thinking about the option of creating a private repo, mainly to sync Sourcery with GSlapt. Perhaps I could include this Firefox package in that repo by creating a symlink.

Wondering whether that would provide a more automated solution, rather than needing to manually track specific Firefox version numbers to EXCLUDE. Thoughts on that, anyone?
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

http://dawnrazor.net/sbotools/

Note: SBo's version of firefox is the same as Salix (17-ESR) and it is much easier to install a pre-built package from the Slackware or Salix repos than with Sourcery or Sbotools.
To run this SlackBuild you will need ~4 Gb of free disk space
(~8 Gb for a PGO-enabled build) and if you don't want to hit
swap during the run you will need 5 Gb of free RAM.
Edit: I see Salix has updated firefox to 18.0
ImageImage
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

While I do appreciate your willingness to help, Tim, I've yet to find any relevance of SBO Tools to this Topic. It's also beyond me why any end user would want to build Firefox from source. :wink:

And as far as I can see, Salix 13.37 is still using Firefox 17.0.2esr, rather than 18. Their repo also mirrors Slackware's version 18 package, which is the subject of this Topic. :cool:

Thanks though, sincerely, for the good intentions! :smile:
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

jayseye wrote:
Have also been thinking about the option of creating a private repo, mainly to sync Sourcery with GSlapt. Perhaps I could include this Firefox package in that repo by creating a symlink.

Wondering whether that would provide a more automated solution, rather than needing to manually track specific Firefox version numbers to EXCLUDE. Thoughts on that, anyone?

This is what I was commenting on. Sourcery is the front end for slapt-src which uses the ported SBo repo as of November last year. To include anything newer you could use sbotools to automate SBo package installation and updating.
ImageImage
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

jayseye wrote:
And as far as I can see, Salix 13.37 is still using Firefox 17.0.2esr, rather than 18. Their repo also mirrors Slackware's version 18 package, which is the subject of this Topic. :cool:
my bad..............I guess its 14.0 that has been updated to firefox-18.0
ImageImage