How to access files on another laptop

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
emgee_1

How to access files on another laptop

Post by emgee_1 »

Hi Salixers,

Have been away for sometime with slackware instead of salix but feel after all much better with salix.
I used to access files on another salix equipped laptop using filezilla.
To get it working I used to start sshd in services and then connect to the other host by username password and hostname on port 22.
Somehow I cannot find my other box.
I have also no idea which other services are needed to get that working. Can anyone give me a pointer?
Running Salix 14 32bits on both laptops that are wirelessly connected to a router.

Regards Marcel
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: How to access files on another laptop

Post by gapan »

No other services needed. You're probably using the wrong IP.
emgee_1

Post by emgee_1 »

Thanks Gapan.

I think I previously (before I was using Slackware 14; used Salix 1337) had created hostnames for the different laptops that I have. What cli command can I use to find out which computers are on my network?

In installed avahi bytheway which give me the computernames and adressess but do I have other options?

nmap gives me only addresses like 192.196... but no hostnames.
I expected (wrongfully) that my current laptop miraculously would know/discover the hostname and aadress of the other laptop.

Any pointers for useful commans much appreciated

Regards

Marcel
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm interested in working out how to do this too. No doubt there's lots of good information available by searching, but my hunch is this is the sort of topic where there is a haystack of bad or irrelevant information hiding the needle. Maybe the Slackbook has something on local networking ... Also, it's not Slackware, but the documentation on the Arch Linux wiki tends to be helpful for all sorts of things.

The specific project I have in mind is to create a local server to do automatic backup for the various non-Linux machines around the house, without their users having to bother with it. Not that they would or do anyway.
witek

Post by witek »

Check the IP with ifconfig (/sbin/ifconfig) on the computer you want to log into, if you are in local network then it probably is something like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x - both netmasks used for local networks. Then from a terminal just use
ssh username@192.168.x.x

In a file manager like thunar or caja in the address bar: sftp://user@192.168.x.x

In order to make the IP connceted to hostnames add entries to the /etc/hosts e.g. like these

192.168.1.1 router
192.168.1.2 laptop2
192.168.1.3 laptop3

Then you can use sftp://user@laptop2 or even directly to a directory: sftp://user@laptop2/path/to/directory

If you want to use remote transfer in a script:
http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... _or_script
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

witek wrote:In a file manager like thunar or caja in the address bar: sftp://user@192.168.x.x
:o :shock: :o :shock:
duh, I never though of that!! I just spent the last 6 weeks ftp'ing into my arm devices to transfer files. Knowing this would have save much time and made things a lot easier.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
witek

Post by witek »

For those who don`t know: also ftp or samba protocols are supported:

ftp://user@192.168.x.x

smb://user@192.168.x.x

so one can even communicate with windows shares on another laptop.