synergy: Built latest version OK using cmake

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
jayseye

synergy: Built latest version OK using cmake

Post by jayseye »

Any interest in updating synergy to the latest version, either from source, or a binary package? < http://synergy-foss.org/ >

I succeeded in building the latest version 1.4.10 from source. Then "installed" it manually, by simply copying the two main binaries to /usr/bin/ where they live in previous Slackware packages. Works great under both Salix 13.37 Fluxbox, and Slackel Openbox.

Previous versions stopped working for me over a year ago, when some other package update broke synergy somehow. Since then there have been no other Slackware packages, due to a known bug with cmake's install task.

However, synergy otherwise builds just fine, so the installation steps could easily be done in a .Slackbuild or a SLKBUILD.

If anyone is interested, I'd appreciate advice and/or guidance on the best way to proceed with creating a Salix / Slackware package, or at least a build script.

I can also supply a couple of online references about the known bug, and workarounds which have been discussed.

Thanks!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: synergy: Built latest version OK using cmake

Post by mimosa »

The packaging procedure is rather drily documented on the wiki. There's a post on the relevant board of this forum that includes links to one or two off-site links that are pretty much essential reading. The man pages for the Salix in-house packaging tools are also fundamental reading.

It should be noted that making a package for your own use (even if you choose to post it in Contributed packages) is one thing, and packaging for the repo is another, just in the sense that there is a packaging cycle.

This sounds like a pretty straightforward case. Even if it's just for your own use, building a package is a clean approach and once you have it, it can be reused.

As we used to say in England, Vorsprung durch Technik!
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

jayseye wrote:
If anyone is interested, I'd appreciate advice and/or guidance on the best way to proceed with creating a Salix / Slackware package, or at least a build script.

Thanks!
http://people.salixos.org/djemos/synergy/
64bit package is ready.
Build 32bit if you want it.
After installation

Code: Select all

cp  /etc/synergy.conf.example  /etc/synergy.conf
Edit file as you like.
And

Code: Select all

service start synergys
:)
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Very cool, thank you Dimitris! What would be the next step to have this added to the main Slackel repo?

Also I would like to convert this to a .Slackbuild and submit it to < slackbuilds.org >, because synergy has been sorely missed among Slackware users.

Would you have any advice for, or against, my doing that?

Thanks again!
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks mimosa, I'm aware of both the existence of the packaging guidelines, and their dryness. :cry: My skill set and personality seem better suited to development than to mass packaging, so I really do appreciate folks such as yourself who successfully take on that challenge. :cool:

In this case I was seeking more specific feedback on interest in synergy, plus a more high-level discussion of the trade-offs of creating a .Slackbuild versus a SLKBUILD script for it. My reply to Dimitris, above, has more detail on the latter.

Of course the quick response by djemos left me pleasantly surprised, if slightly shocked :wink:
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

jayseye, what can do is to take an existing .SlackBuild change it, looking at SLKBUILD, adding doc files and also creating the slackbuild files .info, doinst etc .
Well i have done it and it is here. http://people.salixos.org/djemos/synergy/SlackBuild/

About SLKBUILD i have to build 32bit package also and add it to slackel repos.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Wow, thanks again, I guess you must be a synergy fan. Would you like to submit the .Slackbuild and related files to http://slackbuilds.org/guidelines/ ? If not, would you mind if I submit it there?

If I were to submit it, would you still like the author's credit / packaging initials? I might tend add more of the synergy documentation, sample config files, etc. However, almost all of the work would be yours.

I will certainly respect your wishes. My main goal here is to have the latest version(s) of synergy easily available for all Slackware users.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I have never submitted a package to slackbuilds.
So please submitted it. Put your name on the slackbuild (the author's credit / packaging initials)
I did not know about synergy. It is a very good application.