[SOLVED] No Wifi on Dell Inspiron 6000

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
kcirick

Re: No Wifi on Dell Inspiron 6000 despite b43-fwcuter

Post by kcirick »

I haven't looked too much into details about the specifics, but if you're having problems with wicd, then you could try network manager. You can install it using gslapt.

EDIT : first try the previous suggestion by Akuna. I think based on your posts, that should solve it.
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

Akuna wrote:In Wicd's preferences, you should actually change the wireless connection from wlan0 to eth0 (like it shows in iwconfig) and leave eth1 (the wired connection) unchanged.
Tried this, rebooted, no change.
kcirick wrote:I haven't looked too much into details about the specifics, but if you're having problems with wicd, then you could try network manager. You can install it using gslapt.

EDIT : first try the previous suggestion by Akuna. I think based on your posts, that should solve it.
Tried this.... the application doesn't exist as such in the repo, according to gslapt.
There are no stupid questions.
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

SOLVED!

Holy hell is this a weird one. I use rfkill to toggle wifi. On a hunch I ran /usr/sbin/rfkill list and got:

Code: Select all

dennis[~]$ /usr/sbin/rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: yes
I then found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1781350&page=2
....which seemed all over the place until I read this:
I solved my problem of wireless being hard blocked on a toshiba netbook with realtek wifi chip. All I did was reboot and use fuction key + F8 which is my wifi hotkey switch. During Bios Boot Screen. make it is pressed before OS takes over.
I rebooted and pressed Function + F2 before Salix booted, and suddenly it is working.

Code: Select all

dennis[~]$ /usr/sbin/rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
Weird, but VERY happy it works. Hope this helps someone else. :idea: :idea: :idea:
There are no stupid questions.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: [SOLVED] No Wifi on Dell Inspiron 6000

Post by Akuna »

Great! :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.