Konsole dependency on kde-baseapps

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
kikinovak

Konsole dependency on kde-baseapps

Post by kikinovak »

Hi,

I'm currently fiddling with a nice mix of Slackware base with Salix packages on top (Slackware for the sometimes lazy Slacker :D ). I started from a base Slackware system (everything without KDE, KDEI, XFCE and XAP), then installed spkg and slapt-get, and synchronized with the Salix repos. Everything went as planned, and kudos to you guys for the nice work.

I like the idea of having a kde-baseapps-lite package around, since I don't warm up to Konqueror as web browser. So I installed a minimal KDE 4.8.5 with the kde-baseapps-lite package. Works nice... except when I install Konsole, it installs the full kde-baseapps package as a dependency. Now when I replace the kde-baseapps package by kde-baseapps-lite... all the extra packages like ark, gwenview, konsole etc. get removed. Not good.

Looks like a small and trivial bug, but I thought I might as well report it. I don't know if there's a way to state either kde-baseapps-lite or kde-baseapps as dependencies for Konsole.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki

PS: for a while I've been rolling my own (http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/14.0/) for addons to Slackware, but since the Salix packages look quite clean, I've decided to rather use your nice work.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Konsole dependency on kde-baseapps

Post by Akuna »

Hi kikinovak,

Nice to see you around, it's been awhile :)

If some of your packages are not on the repo yet, don't hesitate to post them in the contributed package section or even submit them for inclusion in the repo (although we have a certain window for that, usually some time before a new release). We can use all the help we can get ;)

I do not use KDE. Hopefully someone else that know more about its packaging will pop by.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
kikinovak

Post by kikinovak »

Akuna wrote:Hi kikinovak,

Nice to see you around, it's been awhile :)
I've spent a few months developing my own Slackware-based Xfce-centered desktop (see here http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/14.0/ and screenshots here http://www.microlinux.fr/desktop_linux.php). I'm mostly a Slackware user, but let me state that I'd be equally happy with Salix. I've always had a look on your work here, and I think that of all the Slackware derivatives, you're by far the best in terms of quality control, transparency, etc.

Recently I got fed up with the duplication of effort, and so I went for my personal favourite : a Slackware base system (A, AP, D, F, K, L, N, T, TCL, X, XFCE), then install spkg and slapt-get, blacklist a few packages (lilo, sysvinit-scripts) and then install applications, codecs and fonts galore with Salix. The odd missing package can always be built with sbopkg, and if it's not there either, heck, I just write my own. So currently it looks like maintenance effort is down from about 150 packages to approximately 10 to 15 packages, which is considerable. I owe you guys several beers.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

kikinovak wrote: I like the idea of having a kde-baseapps-lite package around, since I don't warm up to Konqueror as web browser. So I installed a minimal KDE 4.8.5 with the kde-baseapps-lite package. Works nice... except when I install Konsole, it installs the full kde-baseapps package as a dependency. Now when I replace the kde-baseapps package by kde-baseapps-lite... all the extra packages like ark, gwenview, konsole etc. get removed. Not good.

Looks like a small and trivial bug, but I thought I might as well report it. I don't know if there's a way to state either kde-baseapps-lite or kde-baseapps as dependencies for Konsole.

Installing konsole it will install kde-baseapps package as a dep.
If you want to go back on kde-baseapps-lite then run

Code: Select all

slapt-get -i --no-dep kde-baseapps-lite

Code: Select all

removepkg  kde-baseapps
kikinovak

Post by kikinovak »

OK thanks djemos !
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Wait. So konsole works with either kde-baseapps or kde-baseapps-lite? If it does, then we should fix the dependencies of konsole to reflect that.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

What about okular? I've instaled the KDE kitchen sink before to be able to have okular, but it does use a lot of space to do that.

I'll try and check during my testing of the KDE beta.
f.bluedevil

Post by f.bluedevil »

As a side note: Yakuake (drop down terminal application) requires Konsole which in turn requires a kde-baseapps install.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

konsole can work with kde-baseapps or kde-baseapps-lite.
Same with okular and all other kde apps. The only difference between the two packages is that kde-baseapps-lite does not include konqueror.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

OK, all slackware packages that depend on kde-baseapps now alternatively depend on kde-baseapps-lite.