WMFS 2 - tiling window manager

Other talk about Salix
fredg

WMFS 2 - tiling window manager

Post by fredg »

Hi,

WMFS2 is a lightweight and highly configurable tiling window manager for X written in C.
It can be drive from keyboard or mouse and it's configuration stands in one text file easily understandable.
http://wmfs.info/

WMFS is no more maintained, so, for people who want to play with the new WMFS 2 (git version), just do:

Code: Select all

# slapt-get -i wmfs
First step, as said in the README.Slackware, copy the config file to your $HOME:

$ cp /etc/xdg/wmfs/wmfsrc  ~/.config/wmfs/
If you want to add some stuffs to the status bar or run program at startup, just make a ~/.config/wmfs/status.sh file, it will be run when you log on.
Example:

#!/bin/sh
wicd --tray &
And, as you can see, we are in the WMFS wiki :P
https://github.com/xorg62/wmfs/wiki/Installation

So, go ahead, share your config and screenshots ;)

++
Tim CowChip

Re: WMFS 2 - tiling window manager

Post by Tim CowChip »

ImageImage
antmon

Post by antmon »

COOL!!! :)
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Would be interesting to see screenshots of tiled windows :wink:
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

ImageImage
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It's so difficult to make a tiling WM look sexy. But they are. I look forward to trying this one out. :p
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

Windows can float too.

@mimosa: if you ever decide to brave a Crux installation for your raspberry pi, click the blue penguin in my signature.
Last edited by Tim CowChip on 27. Feb 2013, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

can you guess what OS I'm running?

hint: #!
ImageImage
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@ Tim CowChip I see you've been keeping busy :)

I followed fredg's instructions to the letter, including the status.sh script for wicd (and chmod +x it) but can't see wicd or tray. Is there something I'm missing? My system boots into runlevel 3, so I am logging in as root and doing

init 4
to get to gdm.

Second question: where to set the desktop background? I know, I know, one doesn't see it much ... but you probably notice the image all the more.

I'm working through the config file and, in particular, the man page, which explains the basic keybindings. I couldn't find this info on the wfms website. The two essential ones to get started are:

Mod + Enter to bring up a terminal
Mod + p to execute an app (whose name appears at top left as you type it). Much like dmenu, but it isn't dmenu - no autocompletion :(
And for good measure, Alt hjkl to move focus (but by default, focus follows mouse anyway)

EDIT Oh and
Ctrl-Alt-q to close wmfs

The Mod key is set to Windows_L, or "Super" by default

@ fredg A tiny niggle: the path to the README in the package description is wrong (no Xmas 2012).
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

mimosa wrote: I followed fredg's instructions to the letter, including the status.sh script for wicd (and chmod +x it) but can't see wicd or tray. Is there something I'm missing? My system boots into runlevel 3, so I am logging in as root and doing

init 4
to get to gdm.

Second question: where to set the desktop background? I know, I know, one doesn't see it much ... but you probably notice the image all the more.
I use a modified fredg++'s .xinitrc with hsetroot instead of feh to set the desktop background.
I believe GDM uses ~/.xsession so if you link it to ~/.xinitrc or or paste the text from ~/.xinitrc into ~/.xsession then the ~/.config/wmfs/status.sh should run when you log in.

I know the README.Slackware says: Please copy the default config file '/etc/xdg/wmfs/wmfsrc' in
'~/.config/wmfs/',or WMFS won't start ! but I found that if I didn't use a local wmfsrc, but rather edited the /etc/xdg/wmfs/wmfsrc file and used it instead, then the tray would appear. Of course, I'm running wmfs on debian, but it should be "distro-agnostic"
ImageImage