Gslapt Help

woodsman

Gslapt Help

Post by woodsman »

Suggestion:

Where are the Help pages for gslapt? :shock: The Help menu is useless to any Salix user, technical or non-technical. :(

I never have used gslapt. As a non-technical user my first reaction is to use the Help menu.

As a Slackware user, I opened a terminal and typed "man gslapt" and there is no man page. Yes, there is a man page for slapt-get, but that does not help users trying to use gslapt. :(

I visited the gslapt home page and found no user-oriented documentation. This lack of contextual help is not a Salix issue but an upstream problem. Regardless, the lack of any contextual Help will frustrate many Salix users.

I have a virtual image of PCLinuxOS 2009.2, which uses Synaptic as the graphical package manager. The associated Help menu provides actual contextual Help (F1).

:idea: Suggestion: Don't reinvent the wheel. Although gslapt and Synaptic are different, consider adapting the Debian or PCLinuxOS Synaptic Help files for gslapt. Submit that Help file upstream to the gslapt maintainer or at least use the adapted Help file in Salix.

Yeah, I know, :), gslapt is intended primarily for Slackers, but contextual Help is much needed.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Gslapt Help

Post by gapan »

There is almost nothing we can do about this here. These kind of suggestions should better be directed upstream.

BTW, I don't personally think a help page is needed at all. There is a textbox named "Search" that is used to search packages and a checkbox for each package that needs to be checked. That's all there is to it. Really self-explaining in my opinion.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

woodsman wrote:Submit that Help file upstream to the gslapt maintainer or at least use the adapted Help file in Salix.
1. I think the upstream problem with gslapt help should be fixed by gslapt devs. Please send them a hint ;) To be honest: We can not do everything. Of course we are willing to help the gslapt devs, but we can not do the complete thing.

2. I'm not really feeling good with adding a help just for Salix. This is some kind of [[insert name of a big Linux distro here]] style of solution which I don't like. Such things should be fixed upstream, so that everybody in the open source has advantage of it.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

I think the upstream problem with gslapt help should be fixed by gslapt devs. Please send them a hint.
Done. :)