doubt about installing packages from current

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Duncan_Idaho

doubt about installing packages from current

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

TL;DR
I'm wondering, it is safe to install packages from slackware current or I risk braking the install? namely new kernel and Xorg

LONG VERSION: I have new laptop but it suffers from not so random flickering of the screen, I haven't had this problem on other distros with newer kernel and Xorg versions so I'm wondering If it's relatively safe to update those packages to the versions from slackware current. Or it'll be safer to try Slackel that is already based off slackware current?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: doubt about installing packages from current

Post by mimosa »

Why not try Slackel Live just to see?

A kernel upgrade isn't that tricky in itself, but there are a few steps to it; you can't just upgrade the kernel packages and reboot. Instructions in both forum and wiki. Proceed with caution (and do check here first before lighting the blue touchpaper if in any doubt).

On the other hand (and especially if it doesn't work in SLackel Live) there may be other steps you can take to address this problem. Do you have an Nvidia card?
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

no, It's an integrated intel graphics
does slackel have a live version? if so I'll give it a try in the weekend
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

You may have to root around for it a bit on the page but it's there. It may not be the latest version but still quite recent. There may also soon be a new one once vanilla Slaix Live comes out, with new tools. Check out Slackel Openbox too (not sure if there is a Live version). Both that and KDE are very nice, but clearly, the latter is heavier.