Boot Splash Idea

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
woodsman

Boot Splash Idea

Post by woodsman »

Hi folks,

Suggestion:

The default Salix boot splash image provides no textual information about the boot process. Only a progress bar. Consider taking a quick look at the PCLinuxOS Live CD and the respective boot splash. You will notice some simple text messages along with the progress bar.

If you go that route then enabling text messages should be an option in the graphical lilo setup tool too. :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Boot Splash Idea

Post by gapan »

I'm not sure, but I don't think that's possible with splashy. You can hit the ESC key any time during boot to view boot messages.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

I wonder how other folks accomplish that feat? Different splash utility? Using grub instead of lilo?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Probably a different splash utility. Usplash can probably do it, but it's completely unusable for Slackware (without creating a fork).
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I wonder why nobody has the idea of pressing [ESC] if he wants to see the boot messages? :mrgreen: Do you think a: "Hit ESC for verbose mode" message is needed there?

PS: Splashy has some build in kind of verbose mode, that can show a frame with boot messages. I never got it working so I've just thought: damn it, not really needed anyway :lol:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

I think some kind of message would be helpful for non-computer people. You already have the TAB message, but I think many non-computer people, if they tried that, will just stare at the screen. They would not know what to type next.

As I mentioned in another post, we computer people think differently and take a lot for granted. Maybe this is a left-brain, right-brain thing. I don't know. :) Most non-computer people I know would never guess to press the Esc key to expose the boot messages. Hence my idea to provide some basic text messages just above or below the progress bar.

I work with professionals who use computers as a basic tool. They are intelligent people but not computer people. I'm often the primary person for computer questions where ever I work. I'm no longer surprised how little people know about computers, even those folks who use them daily. For example, most people I have watched do not know the Tab key can be used to move the cursor in a dialog box. They type, stop and grab the mouse, click, type, stop and grab the mouse, etc.

In one of my past testing sessions with Zenwalk I think I saw the effect you describe with exposing the boot messages inside a frame.

Something else I liked was the Zenwalk installer scripts added an opaque graphic backdrop to provide the illusion of a graphical installer. The installer was still ncurses, but the effect was pretty good.

I realize there is a debate about who might benefit from these kinds of features. I don't see many non-computer people installing Salix or any operating system. They expect a turn-key solution with the operating system pre-installed. Most non-computer people have no interest or desire to tinker much with computers. As long as they can surf the web and fetch email they are happy.

The type of people who might install Salix or any operating system aren't going to scream much about the effects or features I recommend. However, such tweaks add a touch of professionalism that grabs a person's attention. One way to grow the Salix community is paying attention to those "little things" that make a difference and add polish.

As the old adage goes, a person gets only one chance to make a first impression. I think the same thing goes for operating systems too. :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

woodsman wrote:Most non-computer people I know would never guess to press the Esc key to expose the boot messages. Hence my idea to provide some basic text messages just above or below the progress bar.
And none computer people never want to see the boot messages ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Why providing boot messages ?
The big buggy OS (Windows) never provided such messages at boot and people don't care.
Here, if you really want to know what happens, just hit "ESC"....not hard isn't it ?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Anyway, a non-technical user will never care about boot messages. It will all seem amazingly confusing. The moment he does care, he can't be considered a non-technical user anymore and he can be expected to either know to hit ESC, or to search a wiki/forums to find out that he can do so.
woodsman wrote:In one of my past testing sessions with Zenwalk I think I saw the effect you describe with exposing the boot messages inside a frame.

Something else I liked was the Zenwalk installer scripts added an opaque graphic backdrop to provide the illusion of a graphical installer. The installer was still ncurses, but the effect was pretty good.
Both of those require to recompile the kernel with a bootsplash patch. We don't want to do that.