Installing LXDE on Salix 14

laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Installing LXDE on Salix 14

Post by laprjns »

Salixified wrote: The only package missing is "lxde-common."
The wiki instructions for installing LXDE where developed for 13.37. Since there is not an official version of LXDE for Salix 14.0 the package list needed to install LXDE may be different and they may not all be in the 14.0 repo yet. So installing the LXDE packages that are already in the repo may not result in the complete LXDE environment.
Salixified wrote: Apparently even PCManFM was installed, so it must have been "in there" somewhere even though it doesn't show up in the list when Gslapt is opened.
What you most likely have installed is spacefm which is a fork of pcmanfm. See http://ignorantguru.github.com/spacefm/ ... on-history. I'm not sure how it got installed thought; its not a dependancy of any of the lxde packages in the repo.
Salixified wrote: Nice to see Xournal in Sourcery too - an unexpected treat.
Be aware that Sourcery and its command line equivalent slapt-src are tools to build and install packages from source. They both have limited dependency resolution capability so you can expect to run into dependency issues with some of the packages. if you run into any problems and can't resolve them yourself just post it here and someone will come alone and help.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Salixified

Post by Salixified »

laprjns wrote:... So installing the LXDE packages that are already in the repo may not result in the complete LXDE environment.
It most definitely did not. :lol:
laprjns wrote: What you most likely have installed is spacefm which is a fork of pcmanfm. See http://ignorantguru.github.com/spacefm/ ... on-history. I'm not sure how it got installed though; its not a dependancy of any of the lxde packages in the repo.
Apparently neither was installed. But thanks for the link, I'm curious about this new stuff.
laprjns wrote: Be aware that Sourcery and its command line equivalent slapt-src are tools to build and install packages from source. They both have limited dependency resolution capability so you can expect to run into dependency issues with some of the packages. if you run into any problems and can't resolve them yourself just post it here and someone will come alone and help.
Y'all have been just great so far. I'll do a lot more reading first before asking questions here, but it's nice to have such great community support. Thanks so much!
Another totally Salixified customer!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The next thing I was going to do was actually look at the LXDE wiki instructions and maybe even get out of my armchair and test them. :oops:

In any case, if you're enjoying Xfce, you're clearly Salixified. In the not too distant future a variety of other flavours should be available for 14.0, many of them in Live CD versions :) Everything except KDE is pretty snappy even on quite basic hardware.
Salixified

Post by Salixified »

I appreciate that Mimosa, but I'm the one who should out of the easy chair and working on this - if I really cared enough about it to bother, that is. As you say, I'm truly Salixified, so no bother. Got all the "partial" bits of LXDE and Openbox that were installed removed and cleansed from my computer, and quite content to wait for the LXDE version to come out before toying with LXDE.

Yours very cordially and gratefully,
A Salixified User
Another totally Salixified customer!
Pai Mei
Donor

Post by Pai Mei »

I'm sorry for reviving this thread, and becoming a bit impertinent, but I installed LXDE successfully in SALIX 14 64 bits XFCE, using the ponce.cc packages - the packages are for 32 and 64 bits versions of Slackware... Solved dependencies problems, and have PCManfm running without problems... If you want, I can write a walkthrough for this...
Sorry if I was a bit silly.
Linux User #551004
Pentium Core2Duo E5700 4Gb Ram
Salix 14 XFCE 64 bits Multilib / Openbox / LXDE
husnia

Post by husnia »

hi everyone

I'm using salix 13.37 KDE on my laptop. but now I want to change the KDE with LXDE.

I've install the packages as written on wiki. then I logout to choose LXDE but it doesn't show up on session menu.

is there anything that I miss?

thanks
:)
knome
Donor

Post by knome »

husnia wrote:hi everyone

I'm using salix 13.37 KDE on my laptop. but now I want to change the KDE with LXDE.

I've install the packages as written on wiki. then I logout to choose LXDE but it doesn't show up on session menu.

is there anything that I miss?

thanks
:)
Assuming you're using the KDM session manager then the following may help...

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2876
husnia

Post by husnia »

thanks knome. it work. :D
flexit

Post by flexit »

I am running 13.37 LXDE edition and would like to upgrade to 14.0. I would like to keep LXDE and don't care if there are newer packages. So, is it safe to follow the documented upgrade procedure, skipping the XFCE upgrade part, of course. I wonder if anyone has attempted that?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

flexit wrote:I am running 13.37 LXDE edition and would like to upgrade to 14.0. I would like to keep LXDE and don't care if there are newer packages. So, is it safe to follow the documented upgrade procedure, skipping the XFCE upgrade part, of course. I wonder if anyone has attempted that?
No, LXDE is not yet available for 14.0.