Gslapt Questions

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
woodsman

Gslapt Questions

Post by woodsman »

Hi folks,

Some gslapt questions:

How do I use gslapt to update packages from a mounted ISO image? The "salix" directory on the disk is divided into several subdirectories.

How do I add a local package tree in gslapt? Specifically a CD/DVD/image? How do I configure gslapt to use that local tree for updating package data and checksums rather than obtain that information remotely from a web site?

Gslapt seems hard-coded with respect to window sizes. I have been unable to configure gslapt to remember the windows sizes I select. Each time I open gslapt the window sizes for all windows revert to some puny fixed size. I have a nice wide-screen monitor, not a 12 inch 640x480 monitor. :)

Background:

Several weeks ago I downloaded Salix 13.01. I installed that image to a VirtualBox machine using the Full install option.

Recently I obtained an ISO image of 13.02a. I would like to update packages.

Thinking like a non-technical point-and-click user, my first impulse is to open gslapt. I then could update from there. Doable, but that process is slow with my ISP connection. Second, thinking like a computer person, now that I have an updated ISO image available, that first method would be a duplication and waste of connection bandwidth. Instead, why not update directly from the disk image?

As a Slackware user I'm inclined to open a terminal window, mount the ISO image, and proceed from there.

As a new Salix user I'm trying to figure out how to use the ISO image, which in some respects is the equivalent of a local mirror. Yet I have no experience with gslapt. I think many non-technical users could find themselves in the same situation. For this test I prefer to stick with a graphical tool rather than "cheat" with the command line. I'm trying to think like many non-technical users.

:idea: I have noticed a troubling trend among all computer developers: the presumption of a fast broadband connection to perform package management and the presumption that all connectivity is costless. Bad presumptions. :) Therefore, there should be some thought and support for updating packages locally.

Thanks much. :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Gslapt Questions

Post by gapan »

woodsman wrote:How do I use gslapt to update packages from a mounted ISO image? The "salix" directory on the disk is divided into several subdirectories.

How do I add a local package tree in gslapt? Specifically a CD/DVD/image? How do I configure gslapt to use that local tree for updating package data and checksums rather than obtain that information remotely from a web site?
slapt-get FAQ #17.
woodsman wrote:Gslapt seems hard-coded with respect to window sizes. I have been unable to configure gslapt to remember the windows sizes I select. Each time I open gslapt the window sizes for all windows revert to some puny fixed size. I have a nice wide-screen monitor, not a 12 inch 640x480 monitor. :)
Should be reported upstream.
woodsman wrote:Thinking like a non-technical point-and-click user, my first impulse is to open gslapt. I then could update from there. Doable, but that process is slow with my ISP connection. Second, thinking like a computer person, now that I have an updated ISO image available, that first method would be a duplication and waste of connection bandwidth. Instead, why not update directly from the disk image?
There is already an easy way: to select all upgrades in gslapt and hit the upgrade button.
woodsman wrote:As a Slackware user I'm inclined to open a terminal window, mount the ISO image, and proceed from there.
Yes, you can do exactly that if you like. upgradepkg --install-new works fine.
woodsman wrote:I think many non-technical users could find themselves in the same situation. For this test I prefer to stick with a graphical tool rather than "cheat" with the command line. I'm trying to think like many non-technical users.
Non-technical users would just upgrade using the repositories with gslapt. I don't think that it would ever occur to them that they can upgrade by loop mounting an iso and upgrading packages from there.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

woodsman wrote:Gslapt seems hard-coded with respect to window sizes. I have been unable to configure gslapt to remember the windows sizes I select. Each time I open gslapt the window sizes for all windows revert to some puny fixed size. I have a nice wide-screen monitor, not a 12 inch 640x480 monitor. :)
Oh yes, this is annoying :) Would you please report it upstream? ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

slapt-get FAQ #17.
Hmm. Okay, bear with me here. :) I think I see why gslapt would not let me add a local disk as a source.

I read the FAQ question. I was using the correct syntax to add the location of the disk. I had guessed correctly with that based upon using slackpkg in Slackware and Synaptic in PCLinuxOS.

However, seems the underlying slapt-get needs to find two files:

PACKAGES.TXT
CHECKSUMS.md5

PACKAGES.TXT is nowhere on the 13.0.2a disk. :(

Okay. I visited http://download.salixos.org/i486/13.0/. Yes, there is a copy of PACKAGES.TXT. I downloaded the file with the idea that I would copy the ISO contents to a directory and add PACKAGES.TXT. From there I could create a new disk that should work with gslapt.

The format of the PACKAGES.TXT file is the same as in Slackware, with a pointer to the location of the file in the Salix repository file tree. For example: "./salix/l"

Yet the Salix CD does not use that same file tree structure as the online repository file tree. The CD contains the following directories only:

core
basic
full

The traditional "disk set" Slackware directories (a, ap, d, e, l, etc.) do not exist on the CD.

Therefore, if I understand correctly, gslapt and the underlying slapt-get would be unable to use the Salix CD as a local source because the locations provided in PACKAGES.TXT does not match the actual disk file system. :(

If I wanted to use the PACKAGES.TXT file found online, then the only way I could get gslapt to use a disk as a local repository would be to match the http://download.salixos.org/i486/13.0/ file tree structure exactly.

Or I could try to generate my own PACKAGES.TXT based upon the existing Salix CD file tree structure. So I tried, using the shell script provided in the slapt-get FAQ No. 17.

I created a new directory, copied the contents of the CD, and then ran the shell script to create a new PACKAGES.TXT file. I created a new disk. Now my new Salix disk contains both of the files required by slapt-get/gslapt.

Then, to return to the original problem that prompted me to start this thread, I edited gslapt to use a local file system as my preferred respository source.

Worked like a hot knife on butter. :D

I think all of this never would have occured had I been able to add the disk as a source, which I could not because of the missing PACKAGES.TXT file.

When generating the ISO image for downloading, I would consider adding a PACKAGES.TXT file that matches the ISO file tree strcture. Then users could use their CDs as a local respository.
Non-technical users would just upgrade using the repositories with gslapt. I don't think that it would ever occur to them that they can upgrade by loop mounting an iso and upgrading packages from there.
That is a good point. Most users are unlikely to try using a disk image as a local repository. Yet I suspect more than a few would try using a physical disk.

Although the slapt-get FAQ addresses how to use a local respository, I think a nice gesture would be to provide the path name of a physical disk in the gslapt sources list. Leave the source unchecked. That way non-technical users have a chance of using their physical disk as a source.

My primary consideration for this idea is the flawed presumption that all users have a fast broadband connection. I had that displeasure for several years. I still remember those dial-up days with disdain. My only solution was to visit somebody in the city with a pocket full of blank CDs or an empty hard drive. I returned home with those disk images. For several years that was the only way I could test distros or update software packages.

Even for those people who have slow connectivity but buy CDs/DVDs, they need a local method to install and add packages when they receive the disks. Just an idea. :)
Oh yes, this is annoying :) Would you please report it upstream?
Done. :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Oh, I thought you wanted to make a new CD in the first place anyway, not use the existing one.
woodsman wrote:When generating the ISO image for downloading, I would consider adding a PACKAGES.TXT file that matches the ISO file tree strcture. Then users could use their CDs as a local respository.
Yes, we can definitely do that. Good idea.
woodsman wrote:That is a good point. Most users are unlikely to try using a disk image as a local repository. Yet I suspect more than a few would try using a physical disk.
Maybe, but still, the great majority of users will only just use online repositories.
woodsman wrote:Although the slapt-get FAQ addresses how to use a local respository, I think a nice gesture would be to provide the path name of a physical disk in the gslapt sources list. Leave the source unchecked. That way non-technical users have a chance of using their physical disk as a source.
That is already done in the default slapt-getrc. The CD/DVD source is already there, commented out. But yes, we can add that to gslapt too. A potential problem would be that the CD does not use the same mount point for every version. HAL is used and mounts the CD under /media/$DISKLABEL. So if you get a new version, the user would need to manually edit the source list.