Salix Xfce4 14 Great Job!!

Other talk about Salix
sqlpython
Donor

Salix Xfce4 14 Great Job!!

Post by sqlpython »

Finally, after 2 1/2 years of Salix 13.1 I reinstalled.
I downloaded the Xfce4 version 14 from our Sourceforge source.
I know it is a beta but it is perfect.... So far.

The install went really quick on my Lenovo SL410 Thinkpad. with 4gb which is completely recognized whereas the 13.1 install only saw 3gb of mem. Found all Nics and Wifi as well as all other installed partitions.
I rebooted after only about 20 minutes to a Desktop populated by all the installed partitions.
The install is a Curses install and so lacks the smooth neat Salix install interface but does work fine.
Beyond the standard install which includes Java, Perl, Python, GSlapt, Gnu G++ compilers..Samba and LibreOffice & FlashPlayer & Codecs WoW
I added my own development needs of Eclipse, OpenJDK, QT4, Eric4 IDE and Pyqt. Eric and Eclipse were SlackBuilds.
I also added for my own needs/wants Firefox and Thunderbird , Evince and Gstreamer ugly / Bad..

Up and running Slackware 14 Xfce4 is FAST really fast ..umm really fast.
One of the slowest start ups is Thunderbird which I installed with Lightning Calendar, Google Provider and Google Contacts. So, a lot for Thunderbird to digest during the startup.
Only Takes a whole 3 seconds now... ZOOM!

Thanks for the Great Work. I will also download the LiveCD when available as it is Great Tool.
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
sqlpython
Donor

Re: Salix Xfce4 14 Great Job!!

Post by sqlpython »

Now that was a Treat!
I run Gentoo, Debian & Arch besides Salix. On each install through out many versions including Salix 13.1 I was accustomed to always installing all my Printers with Cups in Home and Office.

This morning I booted into Salix 14 and was about to print some CD labels when I realized..I hadn't installed the Home Network Printer. The printer is on the DHCP home network. So I open the sytem-config-printer app which I had installed.
There staring straight back at me was my Officejet 6500 on my Home Network, Great!
As I said, I had never had a printer automatically install from my Network correct driver and all. I know and understand that CUPS is suppose to seek out and list Network printers but that never seems to work that way for me. I always seem to have to do the Step by Step.

Another +++
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

:)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

I came to Salix 14.0 a bit late. Oh, I downloaded and installed it right away but because I was supporting SLES/SLED at work I ran openSUSE at home for the past six months or so. I'd have to say that this is another very good release. I'm really not seeing problems and some of the updated apps are very nice indeed.

A HUGE thank you for sticking with wicd. NetworkManager tends to drop connections or have difficulty connecting using a Belkin dongle I have on my 3.5 year old desktop, which doesn't have built-in wifi. With wicd there is no problem at all. This is my general experience with NetworkManager over the years: it has lots of features but has issues with various sorts of hardware. wicd, OTOH, always works for me.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

I'm really not seeing problems and some of the updated apps are very nice indeed.
I agree this is a Very Solid release but then it is Slackware.
A HUGE thank you for sticking with wicd. NetworkManager tends to drop connections
Absolutely ++
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

caitlyn wrote:...a Belkin dongle I have on my 3.5 year old desktop, which doesn't have built-in wifi.
Nice to see you back, Caitlyn. I'm looking for an affordable USB WiFi adapter for a laptop and a desktop PC. Curious about the particular model you're using, and whether it works reliably now with wicd. Thanks!