[SOLVED] Firefox 17.0.8esr

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
tigerflag

[SOLVED] Firefox 17.0.8esr

Post by tigerflag »

I don't know if this is a Firefox bug or a Salix bug...

Running what I believe is an up-to-date Firefox 17.0.8esr, but I keep getting prompts to update to the most current version, 17.0.8esr. First a black rectangle opens up on the top right corner of my screen, informing me of an update. Then a Software update notice pops up in the middle of my screen with the message:
A security and stability update for Firefox is available:

Firefox 17.0.8esr

It is strongly recommended that you apply this update for Firefox as soon as possible.
If I click the provided link to update it, it tries to connect to the server forever, but never connects.

Gslapt says I am current, no updates available.

I've gone to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Updates and checked "Never check for updates", but I still keep getting these annoying popups. So I tried checking the box to update automatically, and still keep getting the annoying popups.
How do I turn them off?

Thanks.
Last edited by tigerflag on 15. Aug 2013, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Salix64 Xfce 13.37, Core i3-3225, MSI H77MA-G43 mobo, 8GB Mushkin DDR3 1600, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Hyper TX3 cooler, DVD R/W, Seasonic 500W P/S.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Firefox 17.0.8esr

Post by gapan »

It's a bug with firefox. And that's one of the reasons firefox is no longer our default browser.
tigerflag

Post by tigerflag »

OK. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd like to use Midori, but no matter what I do it won't import my Firefox bookmarks. If I could get it to do that, I'd make it my default browser. Do you by any chance know how to import Firefox bookmarks into Midori?
Salix64 Xfce 13.37, Core i3-3225, MSI H77MA-G43 mobo, 8GB Mushkin DDR3 1600, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Hyper TX3 cooler, DVD R/W, Seasonic 500W P/S.
ibka

Post by ibka »

In Firefox export as html, then import in midore, if you have a lot of bookmarks then it will take awhile.
I have just tried it and it works.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That should be very easy. In firefox, export your bookmarks to an html file and then in midori, select Import bookmarks from the menu and select to import bookmarks in the XBEL or HTML format.

edit: ikke was first :mrgreen:
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Weird, for me firefox has no such problem. The about window says I'm up to date.

Hmmm... here's an idea: if you have an en_US locale, can you try installing the mozilla-firefox-l10n-en-US package? Or if you have any other locale, install the respective locale package.
tigerflag

Post by tigerflag »

gapan wrote:That should be very easy. In firefox, export your bookmarks to an html file and then in midori, select Import bookmarks from the menu and select to import bookmarks in the XBEL or HTML format.

edit: ikke was first :mrgreen:
Thanks everybody, that worked. Actually it worked the first time I did it, but for some reason I couldn't see the bookmarks. So I did it three times, and then had to delete a bunch of duplicate bookmarks.

They're all sort of out of order and I'm finding it difficult to rearrange them the way I like. For instance, I have a folder called Daily containing the bookmarks I use most often. I like it to be first. It's last now, and all the bookmarks inside it are out of order. I was able to move the folder up, but can't rearrange the bookmarks inside of it.

I'll either figure it out or learn to live with it. Learning experiences are good.
tigerflag

Post by tigerflag »

OK, now this is weird. After a few reboots of Midori (because it keeps crashing) all the bookmarks have sorted themselves out and are in the same order that they're in in Firefox. I didn't do it.

Now if it will just stop crashing...

Edit: Midori crashes repeatedly unless I turn off scripting. Five Midori crashes in 15 minutes; I'm going back to Firefox. I'll take an annoying popup once a day over endless crashes.

Thanks for your help, though.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

gapan wrote:Hmmm... here's an idea: if you have an en_US locale, can you try installing the mozilla-firefox-l10n-en-US package? Or if you have any other locale, install the respective locale package.
Yup, that's it. Without the mozilla-firefox-l10n-en-US package the about windows says that there is an update available, with it installed it say that it's up to date. I can toggle it back and forth by installing and uninstalling the package. It is was not installed by default here.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
tigerflag

Post by tigerflag »

laprjns wrote:
gapan wrote:Hmmm... here's an idea: if you have an en_US locale, can you try installing the mozilla-firefox-l10n-en-US package? Or if you have any other locale, install the respective locale package.
Yup, that's it. Without the mozilla-firefox-l10n-en-US package the about windows says that there is an update available, with it installed it say that it's up to date. I can toggle it back and forth by installing and uninstalling the package. It is was not installed by default here.
You're exactly right. That fixed it.

Thanks, guys (and gals?)!