Slow browsers

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
professor

Slow browsers

Post by professor »

After a recent installation which went smoothly, the installed Firefox browser was extremely slow. I installed Midori and Opera to double check and they all were very sluggish to the point of being unusable with extreme delays in page loading. As I dual boot with puppy, I logged out and back in to that and found that the Firefox there was it's usual peppy self so I dismissed any hardware issue. I reinstalled Salix and reformatted partitions just to be safe thinking that perhaps I had messed something up on the original installation but alas the same results. The os itself, xfce functions, window actions, etc. were quite snappy but the browsers would not travel at any speed. Is anyone else reporting something similar and can anything be done as I have had to revert to my standby Z___k?
Thanks.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Slow browsers

Post by thenktor »

Hmm, my wild guess is slow DNS resolution. Do the pages load slowly overall or does it take long until page load starts?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
professor

Post by professor »

I would say the former but some pages would not load at all but perhaps I wasn't waiting long enough.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Perhaps let's try some ping tests. Are you from USA?
Try:
ping newyork.com
ping 208.109.238.206
Both are the same, except the first will have to resolve the name first. If this takes a long time (> 1second) then this is your problem.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
professor

Post by professor »

Yes, USA and thanks for your help.
I downloaded the live Salix beta 2 as I no longer have Salix installed thinking that the same issue may appear and it does. Pinging newyork.com or the ip# gives similar speedy results. Additionally if I go to Google in Firefox via the search box it instantly loads but when I try to go to a url it hangs. The page loads extremely slowly some even up to a full minute and some not at all. I also tried a few ip# as well as names and they were nearly identical in behaviors.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There could be something wrong with how your router assigns the IP to your PC. Try disabling DHCP in wicd and set a valid static IP instead.