Segmentation fault with glibc

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
sivare

Segmentation fault with glibc

Post by sivare »

Hello, I tried to install Chromium browser on Salix 13.37 fluxbox, I got an error that said it requires newer versions of libstdc++.so.6 and libc.so.6, so I download and compile gcc and glibc, as I still get the error I replace copied the newer versions to /usr/lib and /lib without deleting old versions and redirected the symbolic links to the newer versions, in the process something went wrong, when I installed tried to replace libc's links, first appeared some problem with libc.so.6.py then the prompt change to something that said there was no user and the it said segmentation fault, tried to revert the symbolic links without success, tried to do the same from another OS installed, and now I can't even log-in to my pc, it keeps rebooting itself on the start up. I usually don't build from source so don't really know the tools of the trade.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Segmentation fault with glibc

Post by gapan »

Congratulations! You have succeeded in breaking your system completely! glibc is not something you mess with, unless you really really really know what you're doing. The easiest way to get back from this is to do a complete reinstall.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Segmentation fault with glibc

Post by mimosa »

When you've done that, if you want to have another try with Chromium, one hack to try (that won't damage anything else) is to symlink to the older versions. So whatever the Chromium build is asking for, create a symlink with that name pointing at the version that's actually present. (No building gcc or glibc.) It may well not work, but you never know - and at least it shouldn't do any harm.