salix/slackel and old computer

Other talk about Salix
user_111

salix/slackel and old computer

Post by user_111 »

I want to install salix ( :?: maybe slackel if it will approach) on an old computer:

AMD Duron TM 1.1 GHz (Model 7) x86 Family 6
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 ( INNO 3D 32 Mb AOP V )
RAM 640 Mb
Another change is that the 32-bit iso image only supports CPUs following the i686 architecture or newer, which also include support for PAE. It was decided that the benefits of keeping the iso image inside the CD size limits while also keeping the release feature complete are more than supporting those very old CPUs. However, other future editions of Salix 14.0, that are smaller in size, such as the LXDE edition, will keep supporting even those very old CPUs, by also providing the Slackware non-smp non-PAE i486 kernel.
Advise please, what desktop environment and version of the distribution Salix fits best for this old computer ?
13.37 ? 14 ? 14+ ? xfce ? lxde? Probably xfce will be hard for him ?

What kernel when installing or starting should I choose?
laplume
Donor

Re: salix/slackel and old computer

Post by laplume »

Hello,
With such hardware I assume an xfce edition should fit. Otherwise lxde or even fluxbox editions have lower requirements. As far as I know Salix 14 supports only PAE enabled cpu's (at least until a lighter version is available).
The best way to test if Salix fits your hardware well is to use a live cd version, which are currently hosted at Sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/files/
You may try the Salixlive 14.0.1. xfce; otherwise 13.37 version is still fully functional and provided with security updates (some applications are a bit outdated but work as expected). Just boot the default kernel and verify if one of those fits your needs.

Hope this helps,
Antonio
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The Salix 14.0 Ratpoison edition is the only one that still has the non-PAE kernel, if you do need it. But all versions till 13.37 do.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

The AMD Duron is PAE enabled, so no problem using the Xfce edition and that's my suggestion. It might be a bit slow to run big applications like libreoffice with only 640MB of RAM, but it will work. Make sure you create a swap partition of at least 1GB.
user_111

Post by user_111 »

Thank you for your answers.
Is there a need to use any special parameters (supplementary boot options) that the kernel boot (“nomodeset”..)?
Incidentally, huge.s was 13.37. Is there a it in 14 +? Is there a a need for it huge.s in this case my old computer?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

No, you don't need it (as gapan said, your machine is PAE-enabled); if you did, Salix Ratpoison 14.0 has it.

As for special boot options, I don't know (I see no reason to think so), but if you do still have trouble, that would be one thing to explore.

Let us know! :)
user_111

Post by user_111 »

laplume wrote: You may try the Salixlive 14.0.1. xfce; otherwise 13.37 version is still fully functional and provided with security updates (some applications are a bit outdated but work as expected)
Will the 13.37 produced still kernel update in the salix-repositories?
I plan to install the proprietary graphics card driver from NVIDIA sites.
If I install the driver, then each time you update the kernel, graphics system will not boot and will have to reinstall the driver through the system console.
I understand that correctly?
The same question about 14 +
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That's why the kernel is excluded from automatic package upgrades :)