[Solved] Upgrade 13.37 to 14.0 got stuck on reboot

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
aurlaent
Donor

Re: Upgrade 13.37 to 14.0 got stuck on reboot

Post by aurlaent »

You edit the Exec line to launch the program using switch32
Here's a one by wine

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=AutoREALM executeable
MimeType=application/x-wine-extension-aurx;
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/richard/.wine" switch32 -c 'wine start /ProgIDOpen AutoREALM %f'
NoDisplay=true
StartupNotify=true
Icon=4A11_AutoREALM.0
It doesn't work with spaces in the path, which I couldn't be bothered debugging.
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Ok,

thanks.

Seems I was not precise enough.
I can get Textmaker etc. up and running from the desktop as well as from the menu bar.
What doesnot work is double clicking a textmaker document to get textmaker up.
This only work by starting Textmaker and then within the menu "open" to open textmakers file manager.

Well, let see. I am stil not sure whether multilib is a real option or if I will reinstall both environments and use the chroot again.

Thanks anyway.
Regards Gruß
jpg
aurlaent
Donor

Post by aurlaent »

You may have to edit whatever your DE or file manager uses to tell it what to open the file with. I'm using KDE/Dolphin and that .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications does the trick.
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

ok,

Thanks.

I will see if I can make up soemthing like that.
Regards Gruß
jpg
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

ok,

I will mark this htread solved, although the solution was a new install.

Whatever I tried, I could not get the old system up and running.
So after a while I was fed up and made a backup of all my data and cleaned most partitions.

The likely reason for the mess was, that with the update of the 32bit and later 64bit system the bootloader entries went banana.
As my disk/boot order was not "normal" I tripped over that.

Some observations on the update/upgrade procedure:
At a certain stage, the upgrade procedure might get stuck because of loosing the internet connection. Usually eth0 or wlan0 needs to be
configured to connect to the network and so internet. This is not documented in the procedure description. It would however help the less
experienced users (like me). Once you are stuck there you need to have a second PC with internet connection to find out how to fix.

I will be happy if I could propose the instruction or update the document directly.
As a side note: I also had some problems with the instruction to install multilib.

On other proposals/comments:
Salix64 14.0 offers just the huge.s kernel (unless I am really blind). So starting the installation CD to boot into the system on the HD with other
kernel is not an option (maybe I am still worng, but that is also what the screen tells me...).

So, I now have a new Salix64 14.0 installed and configures, with just LILO and no other system to boot.
Multilib is installed and works for the Softmaker-Office.

Thanks for all your comments!
Regards Gruß
jpg
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: [Solved] Upgrade 13.37 to 14.0 got stuck on reboot

Post by mimosa »

Please feel free to update the wiki to make it clearer and more complete.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jpg153 wrote:Some observations on the update/upgrade procedure:
At a certain stage, the upgrade procedure might get stuck because of loosing the internet connection. Usually eth0 or wlan0 needs to be
configured to connect to the network and so internet. This is not documented in the procedure description. It would however help the less
experienced users (like me). Once you are stuck there you need to have a second PC with internet connection to find out how to fix.
This is not something that should be documented in the upgrade procedure. If you start thinking that way, then you should also put stuff like "what to do if you have a power outage during an upgrade" or "what to do if your cat hits random keys on the keyboard during upgrade", you get the point. If you want to write a "how to establish a wired/wireless connection from the terminal" wiki page please go ahead though.
jpg153
Donor

Re: [Solved] Upgrade 13.37 to 14.0 got stuck on reboot

Post by jpg153 »

Hi Gapan,

well, I would not go that far - I dont care about cats and dogs running over keyboards etc. - but I got that issue when
upgrading the 32bit environment.
So I think, if it is specific and likely to happen by just following the given procedure, it might be more than handy if
it would be mentioned in that procedure or with a link to the thread (forum) or a link to a other user document.

If something comes up random, I am fully with you - we don't need to rewrite the bible!
Regards Gruß
jpg