[done] sg2conf and two salix partitions

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
damNageHack

[done] sg2conf and two salix partitions

Post by damNageHack »

sg2conf seems to only detect the kernels on the boot (means current /boot) partition?

How can i automatically add kernels on other partitions?
Last edited by damNageHack on 27. Jan 2010, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
Shador

Re: sg2conf and two salix partitions

Post by Shador »

Generate a grub.cfg for the other partition. It will then reuse that information. (update-grub)
If you got no configuration data in /etc/default/grub, you might want to run sg2conf, choose Advanced when prompted for install device and there enter something like /dev/null, so it won't actually install but only store the configuration data there. Then run update-grub to create a valid grub.cfg using it. :)
Shador

Post by Shador »

Try this new version of sg2conf:
http://gaia.homelinux.org/salix/package ... ch-1ab.txz

I added the '-s' flag, which invokes grub-install in a way which uses /bin/true instead of grub-setup and grub-mkimage. Thus no actual installation to MBR, ... is performed.
I tested it in an almost virgin Salix 13.0.2.a VM (only GuestAdditions) and it worked.
Apart, that version incorporates a few other changes like a man page generated with help2man. :)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Okay, thanks. The call "update-grub" did the trick. I wonder why it was not done for the first time, I installed grub with sg2conf.

Is your current version 1.1.13 in repository available? There is the same version visible with gslapt. Help shows the -s option but it seems to not work. Anyway, I get the dialogs - also if to install to mbr.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
Shador

Post by Shador »

damNageHack wrote:Okay, thanks. The call "update-grub" did the trick. I wonder why it was not done for the first time, I installed grub with sg2conf.
It is done, but only for the local system. You just need to ensure that there's a valid grub.cfg, menu.lst or lilo.conf after for every system and a properly configured grub2 with os-prober installed picks it up during the update-grub/grub-mkconfig run and as those are essentially used by sg2conf it'll too. :)
damNageHack wrote:Is your current version 1.1.13 in repository available? There is the same version visible with gslapt. Help shows the -s option but it seems to not work. Anyway, I get the dialogs - also if to install to mbr.
That's supposed to be like that. If you read the help text, you'll notice that it only says it omits the installation, it doesn't say it omits the prompt. ;)