Root [SOLVED]

Other talk about Salix
retriever

Root [SOLVED]

Post by retriever »

Just curious - how do I become root in XFCE 14.1. I entered 'su' and then my password, but my password wouldn't work. Why is this? I thought Slackware users became root through 'su'.

Thank you.............
Last edited by retriever on 13. Apr 2014, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Root

Post by mimosa »

Salix now uses sudo, just like Ubuntu! So you just type:

Code: Select all

sudo somecommand
... that needs root privileges, and enter your normal user's password. I think there's an explanation of the reasons for the change on the Salix blog.
retriever

Post by retriever »

Thank you so much mimosa! I appreciate your help. :D
TracyTiger

Post by TracyTiger »

When I need to run as root in a shell for a while, I do this.

sudo /bin/bash
This way I get the advantages as running as root without changing the default setup of no root login.

If you have a little more interest in this topic ...

You can bring back the root user. As gapan wrote in the 141. announcement.
Another very important change is that we switched completely to sudo, abandoning the use of su by default. If you wish to give sudo privileges to any user, you should just make him a member of the wheel group. The first user that is created during the installation process automatically becomes a member of the wheel group and gets sudo privileges. Any other user that is created after that does not enter the wheel group automatically and does not get sudo privileges by default. For users that still want their root user back, check the wiki, it's really easy to do it.
mimosa wrote:I think there's an explanation of the reasons for the change on the Salix blog.
I believe this is the article mimosa was referring to is this one. http://salixos.blogspot.com/2013/11/the ... oblem.html
retriever

Post by retriever »

Thank you TracyTiger. That explains it very well. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. :D
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I used sudo su

rich[~]$ sudo su
Password:
root[rich]# 
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
retriever

Post by retriever »

Thank you laprjns! That is really easy. :D