Salix MATE 14.1beta1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix MATE 14.1beta1

Post by gapan »

After a break with our 14.0 release, Salix MATE is back! The very recent MATE 1.8 is featured in this release, which is a beta, only because it hasn't been tested at all yet. Since 14.1 is already stable and MATE 1.8 is also a very stable environment, any issues with this release should be only minor.

The application selection in this release is mostly the same as with our latest Xfce release, with one major exception; the default browser in this release is Firefox ESR. Other than that, and the MATE desktop itself of course, the usual Libreoffice, Gimp, Exaile, Transmission, Viewnior etc are there. Also Totem is the default multimedia player for the MATE edition.

So, you can download iso images for testing, using either torrents or directly from Sourceforge with the following links:

Salix MATE 14.1beta1 DVD ISO (i686, 32-bit):
(size: 738 MB, md5: c1f204c1762f2d5f1d41ebd578270478)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://slackware.org.uk/salix/i486/14.1 ... so.torrent

Salix64 MATE 14.1beta1 DVD ISO (x86_64, 64-bit):
(size: 754 MB, md5: 7d7dd391c6faba5abeb745710075b208)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://slackware.org.uk/salix/x86_64/14 ... so.torrent

Any report will be greatly appreciated! Have fun!
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix MATE 14.1beta1

Post by laprjns »

Salix64-mate UEFI Full install on a Desktop computer
  • no problems with install
    booted with no problem
    haven't done much after boot
Salix64-mate Full install on a Dell Laptop
    booted with no problems
    tried several application with no problems
Salix32-mate Basic install on Dell Laptop (installed twice to confirm below error)
    booted to a gray desktop with no icons and threw the following error dialogs
Could not display "x-caja-desktop:///".
Error: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process /usr/libexec/gvfsd exited with status 127
Please select another viewer and try again.
The panel encountered a problem while loading "MixerAppletFactory::MixerApplet".
Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
Salix32-mate Full install on a Dell Laptop (posting from this install now)
    booted with no problems
    tried several application with no problems
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Salix64-mate on a dell laptop (Full install)
Running Videos (totem)from the menu (Applications > Sound & Video > Videos) doesn't work. Running totem from the command line throws this error:

Code: Select all

rich[applications]$ totem

(totem:13203): Gtk-WARNING **: contents: missing action contents

(totem:13203): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.lockdown' is not installed

Trace/breakpoint trap
Installing gsettings-desktop-schemas package fixes the problem.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Thank you laprjns! Very useful reports indeed. I'll have to check basic mode...
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I installed 64-bit basic in a VM, and see the same messages as laprjns, but then the wallpaper appears as normal and everything seems to work.

Firefox opens the mozilla homepage rather than the Salix one.

One thing that threw me was being asked if I wanted to set up the network during installation - perhaps I just always answered no before without thinking. That is presumably a sensible choice most of the time. Basic doesn't have wicd, of course, but in a VM there is what appears to be an ethernet connection. Would you normally need to do anything to fire that up, in the absence of wicd? From memory, at most,

dhcpcd eth0
I actually wasn't sure what to answer to the questions about the network.

Installed totem (and presumably all needed dependencies) and saw this message:
Some necessary plug-ins are missing. Make sure that the program is correctly installed.
Here is the CLI output:

mimosa[~]$ sudo spi -i totem
Reading Package Lists...Done
Suggested packages:
  alsa-lib bzip2 cairo cdparanoia expat fontconfig freetype glib2 harfbuzz icu4c 
  libICE libSM libX11 libXau libXdmcp libXext libXrender libXv libffi libogg 
  libpng libtheora libvisual libvorbis libxcb orc pango pixman 
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gstreamer1 gst-plugins-base1 cogl json-glib clutter clutter-gst clutter-gtk 
  gobject-introspection grilo libpeas totem-pl-parser 
  gsettings-desktop-schemas totem 
0 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove, 0 not upgraded.

mimosa[~]$ totem
Error creating proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process /usr/libexec/gvfsd exited with status 127 (g-dbus-error-quark, 25)

(gst-plugin-scanner:1473): GVFS-CRITICAL **: fill_mountable_info: assertion `proxy != NULL' failed
Error creating proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process /usr/libexec/gvfsd exited with status 127 (g-dbus-error-quark, 25)

(totem:1470): GVFS-CRITICAL **: fill_mountable_info: assertion `proxy != NULL' failed

(totem:1470): Gtk-WARNING **: contents: missing action contents
Error creating proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process /usr/libexec/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor exited with status 127 (g-dbus-error-quark, 25)

** (totem:1470): WARNING **: Element 'scaletempo' is missing, verify your installation

** (totem:1470): WARNING **: Element 'autoaudiosink' is missing, verify your installation

(totem:1470): Gtk-WARNING **: A floating object was finalized. This means that someone
called g_object_unref() on an object that had only a floating
reference; the initial floating reference is not owned by anyone
and must be removed with g_object_ref_sink().

(totem:1470): Gtk-WARNING **: contents: missing action contents
EDIT

When atte,pting to view the network in the file manager, I see the following:

Could not display "network:///".
Error: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process /usr/libexec/gvfsd exited with status 127
I just experienced a crash where all applications closed instantly - Firefox, the file manager, a terminal, I think. However, it proved possible to open them again and carry on.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

mimosa wrote:I installed 64-bit basic in a VM, and see the same messages as laprjns, but then the wallpaper appears as normal and everything seems to work.
I just tried it in a VM and got the same desktop error as in the real hardware install. Wallpaper does not come up here on the VM for me.
One thing that threw me was being asked if I wanted to set up the network during installation - perhaps I just always answered no before without thinking. That is presumably a sensible choice most of the time. Basic doesn't have wicd, of course, but in a VM there is what appears to be an ethernet connection. Would you normally need to do anything to fire that up, in the absence of wicd? From memory, at most,

dhcpcd eth0
I actually wasn't sure what to answer to the questions about the network.
Virtualbox emulates a wired eithernet and bridges to the real network hardware. Netconfig just takes your through a wired network setup, asking for hostname, domain name, and whether you want a static or dynamic ip. In the full install, the hostname (darkstar) and domain (example,net) are assumed. You can say no to the network setup dialog and just start the network as you suggested, by issuing a "dhcpcd etho".
I installed totem (and presumably all needed dependencies).....
You still need to install "salix-codecs-installer" and run it to get the necessary codecs. Note that once salix-codecs-installer is installed it will not run from the menu. The menu calls salix-codecs-installer-gtk which requires urlgrabber installed. salix-codecs-installer however will run from the command line using the ncurses interface.
When atte,pting to view the network in the file manager, I see the following:

Could not display "network:///".
I get the same error here in the basic install. Full install work with out problems.
I just experienced a crash where all applications closed instantly - Firefox, the file manager, a terminal, I think. However, it proved possible to open them again and carry on.
No crashes here
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Of course, codecs!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Today I get a grey screen - no wallpaper. I can't remember whether the wallpaper was initially there, then disappeared, or never appeared.

Successfully installed anki and deps, including qt; seems to work fine.
sebaz
Donor

Post by sebaz »

I have post on the e-mail, i forgot to come here firs to post. So i copy my message here:

Ok, i have install it on my laptop Lenovo sl510 for testing. All the install process was fine except lilo, i had to install it using mate environement. The mate desktop working fine. Im a french canadian and setting was easy to set as usual (french locale _ca).

The one thing that this beta have to get fix is when you chage settings. Usually it is the root password that is asked. With this beta, user password is working to change setting.
For exemple: system > administration > lilo setup...
The user password is required to make change. Idem to go to Gslapt... user password only. So that is not normal, usually root password is asked.

Thanks for the great work on salix mate 14.1
Im using salix 13.37 mate (1.2.0) everyday and i like it very much. Good and simple gnome 2!
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

sebaz wrote:The one thing that this beta have to get fix is when you chage settings. Usually it is the root password that is asked. With this beta, user password is working to change setting.
For exemple: system > administration > lilo setup...
The user password is required to make change. Idem to go to Gslapt... user password only. So that is not normal, usually root password is asked.
Bonsoir, sebaz,

I believe that the behavior you're describing is not a bug, but what is now standard practice for the Salix 14.1 release(s). gapan announced that beginning with version 14.1, Salix had to abandon the use of su and switch over to sudo. In case you missed that announcement, you can read it in the first post of this discussion thread:

http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5149
"Salix Xfce 14.1." 4 Mar. 2014.

gapan wrote:
Another very important change is that we switched completely to sudo, abandoning the use of su by default. If you wish to give sudo privileges to any user, you should just make him a member of the wheel group. The first user that is created during the installation process automatically becomes a member of the wheel group and gets sudo privileges. Any other user that is created after that does not enter the wheel group automatically and does not get sudo privileges by default. For users that still want their root user back, check the wiki, it's really easy to do it.
If you'd like to read a more technical discussion of the reasons behind the switch, you can take a look at gapan's blog:

http://salixos.blogspot.com/
"The gksu problem." 13 Nov. 2013

Last (but not least), here's a link to the relevant entry in the Salix wiki:

http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_ena ... _root_user
"How to enable the root user."

Hope this helps clarify things a bit. I also hope that someone will correct me if I'm wrong. (Goodness knows that it would not be the first time ...) :?
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260