Newb does/attempts Virtual Box

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
fendermon

Newb does/attempts Virtual Box

Post by fendermon »

Hi all,

I'm really liking this distro so far.. :)

I could use some help please. When I tried to use my new vbox install it gave me a message saying (roughly) that vboxdrv isn't loaded or has has a permission problem, and told me to run the set-up script for it. I ran it (after altering the suggested file path a little). Image

After that, I looked at the var log and it said "un-able to find sources for current kernel."
soooo...Did I un-intentionally un-install the vbox kernel? Does anyone know what the # I'm doing here ?I'm at a real loss as to my next step. I did notice that when I made a virtual machine it didn't ask me for an iso image to boot; maybe I missed a config step and Virtual Box was ok at first?

Great looking Distro btw. :) Clean..clean..clean...And, works wayyyy better than the Vector I payed for (and removed) two weeks ago. Only thing missing is a paypal link to help out. -Thanks, Bill
Last edited by fendermon on 27. Jan 2010, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Newb does/attempts Virtual Box

Post by gapan »

Just

Code: Select all

slapt-get -i kernel-source
before running that virtualbox script.
fendermon

Post by fendermon »

Wow-

Quick fix and works great; Thanks! ....you sir know your stuff.

Bill
fendermon

Post by fendermon »

up-date...

There is one thing.. The vbox drvr setup command has to be run, re-building the module or kernel, each time the p c is re-booted.
Thanks in advance for any help. -Bill
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Please check with the following comamnd in console as root if the vbox modules are loaded:

lsmod |grep vbox
The module binaries are located here, please check also if they are there.
/lib/modules/2.6.29.6/misc/vboxdrv.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.29.6/misc/vboxnetflt.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.29.6/misc/vboxnetadp.ko
You should have a file named "/etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv" that loads the modules at each boot automatically. If not, you did something wrong at installation of VirtualBox ;)
If you changed your kernel version (but I do not guess), then you have to rebuild the vbox modules.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
fendermon

Post by fendermon »

Ok, I did some checking.

First off, Quite sorry I took so long and thanks for all the leads....I got a bit overwhelmed and had to step way back for a bit. I did the "lsmod |grep vbox" command and it showed nothing, just took me back to the prompt. Next, I looked in the lib directory for the modules and found none except one which looked like my main kernel. After that, I looked for /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv and found it was there. Hope that helps.

Bill
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

gapan wrote:Just

slapt-get -i kernel-source
before running that virtualbox script.
Have you done that? If that does not help, try to reinstall VirtualBox but with before installed kernel-source.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
fendermon

Post by fendermon »

Yes, when I run this "slapt-get -i kernel-source" it tells me kernal source is up to date...no changes made..Perhaps, as you suggest, I should have installed the kernel before installing virtual box. Or possibly it is just a permission problem as the error it gives suggests, because as soon as I run the driver setup command as root it builds the kernel or whatever and runs everytime.

Anyhow, It really works terrific and I have built 3 or 4 virtual machines so I might leave well enough alone. Only other problem I'm having is with getting proper screen sizes (in my machines), but I can look into that later.
Thanks, Bill

ps- On a side note, Salix runs Virtual Box so much faster on my box than Mint(gnome) it's not even a contest... and I'm a huge fan of mint :)