Different distro, different graphic quality

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
maspai

Different distro, different graphic quality

Post by maspai »

I use Salix Xfce with kernel 3.14 as primary OS on my netbook along with another distro to just test it, now it's Fedora 20 with kernel 3.15.
Although Fedora's kernel is higher version, but graphic quality when I play a HD movie in gnome-mplayer (I installed gnome-mplayer on both distros) is different, Salix's gnome-mplayer plays the movie smoothly while Fedora's does terribly. Setting I put on gnome-mplayer is same for both distros (default video output, enabled video hardware support) and I use open source radeon driver.
So I wonder what makes the different. Thanks for answer.
sorry for my noob-ness guys, i'm new in linux and salix.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Different distro, different graphic quality

Post by mimosa »

Salix is better :-D
maspai

Post by maspai »

mimosa wrote:Salix is better :-D
Thanks though not descriptive :-D. More technical? I wonder if it's related with xorg configs.
maspai

Post by maspai »

I agree that Salix team do satisfying (for me, at least) job in graphic config, because City Racing game plays with excellent graphic quality (https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yjshezo4zpjw ... racing.png). Although the game isn't like eg. GTA, still it requires good 3D support.
And still, I wonder about the config.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Is the difference only visible in gnome-mplayer? If it is, can you try playing the same file on both distributions with just mplayer from the command line? The differemce could be that maybe you are using the regular mplayer in fedora, but mplayer2 in salix. Or it could be that the default output is diifferent. There may be differences due to the version of the video driver, but that is not that probable.
maspai

Post by maspai »

gapan wrote:Is the difference only visible in gnome-mplayer? If it is, can you try playing the same file on both distributions with just mplayer from the command line? The differemce could be that maybe you are using the regular mplayer in fedora, but mplayer2 in salix. Or it could be that the default output is diifferent. There may be differences due to the version of the video driver, but that is not that probable.
Sorry for very long reply. I'm using SMplayer now and the difference still exists. I'm also trying Xubuntu, same bad HD video quality although quite same kernel version (3.14.x). Xubuntu uses mplayer2, too.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

More technical?
Just wondering. If wanting a answer.
mplayer from the command line
Why respond with

Code: Select all

Sorry for very long reply. I'm using SMplayer now and the difference still exists. I'm also trying Xubuntu, same bad HD video quality although quite same kernel version (3.14.x). Xubuntu uses mplayer2, too.
Inquiring minds on the Mexican Border want to know? :D