salix and few questions

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
lukove

salix and few questions

Post by lukove »

hi at this nice afternoon, i go install again salix on my computer, and i want say that salix is one of best linux distribution, i like slackware path and simplicity of slackware package manager but love salix becouse have slapt-get. there are some issues with my computer when i install linux, not only salix and i here want ask how to do it, i need newest kenel for my AM1 Athlon, like 3.14 or better is posible do it witthout compilation (maybe i swith to nvidia for resolve this)? only download binary with modules and header files? second think is i want switch to 64bit but how is supported multilib only for Wine and Steam.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: salix and few questions

Post by mimosa »

Please search the forums and wiki for nvidia (or whatever other problematic hardware you may have) and multilib. There was a query the other day about the latter.

Addressing the video card issue (if I've understood your post correctly) sounds like the thing to try first, but if you do need a more recent kernel, you can probably just download one rather than compiling it. I'm not sure what the Slackware current kernel is these days, but it might well be recent enough.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: salix and few questions

Post by gapan »

Slackware current at this point has kernel 3.14.13 so you can probably use that. But the absolutely bestthing you could do is build your own kernel. It really is not that difficult. I believe there is a wiki page that describes how to do it. I suggest you give it a try and if you find any problems, post back.