Optimizing home office networking

Other talk about Salix
jpg153
Donor

Optimizing home office networking

Post by jpg153 »

Hi,

I am always running into some slight issues when working in my home network.

Besides my Salix machine, I have a printer server, 2 XP (home) PCs, a Win2K (prof) laptop and my laptop from my office (XP prof).
All machines are connected via simple switches to an old SMC barricade DSL-router.
All machines have fixed IP adresses, except the laptop from work.
I used as a setup the peer functionality, so all are in the same workgroup. All PCs have unique names.
I think we are using mainly TCP/IP over NetBios...but don't hit me if I am wrong :P

Issues:
Gigolo takes ages to find all shared folders on the Windows machines - several minutes, compared to a few seconds on the Win2K machine.
Each Windows machine has either shared drives (full) and/or specific folders.
Usually, the shares are accessible by everyone.
But every now and then, shares stop working or attributes are not working as they should and files/folders are 'readonly' when I need write permission.

What would be the best and 'fastest' setup for the network functionality in general and users/permissions, also to get things a bit safer then we are at the moment.

Sure, I will also configure the samba server on the Salix machine soon, however, its not really required.

Well, I could read books and manual for that, but maybe you have some fast path to that solution.
Its not that I don't want to know or understand how it works, but I am sometimes getting lost in these things.
And my family wants to see me not just for dinner :mrgreen:

So, every help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Regards Gruß
jpg
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Optimizing home office networking

Post by JRD »

I'm also very interrested with the answers...I also have some issues with samba and windows shares...