New Salix User

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
salixious

New Salix User

Post by salixious »

I installed Salix early Wednesday morning and I'm impressed so far. I especially appreciate the slapt-get, Gslapt, and Sourcery apps. Gslapt is nice for searching for packages (I prefer the command line for installation, updates, and removal) and Sourcery is awesome in simplifying the build, compilation, and installation of source packages. Slapt-get is nice as it allows me to leverage my apt-get/aptitude skills from my Debian-based distro experiences.

I'm not new to Linux. I've played with Linux off and on since about 1994/1995 and decided to go full time after seeing some of the developer/beta releases of Windows 8. I currently use CrunchBang Linux as my daily OS and enjoy it and the community immensely.

I began looking at Slackware and derivatives because of Debian's decision to use systemd as the default init in the upcoming Jessie release. I experienced systemd a few months ago when I took Antergos Linux for a spin. The boot and shutdown times were crazy quick. However, if you've read the boycottsystemd site, you know there are issues with systemd.

Someone over at the CrunchBang forums mentioned Salix and after doing some research, I thought it would be a good way to get an introduction to the Slackware way of using Linux.

By the way, I'm using Salix Openbox, since that's somewhat similar to CrunchBang. I'm planning on getting rid of the fbpanel and installing the tint2 panel.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: New Salix User

Post by mimosa »

Welcone salixious. You are exactly the sort of user the distribution is aimed at (though all sorts appear to do well with it). I think you should enjoy it.

Do have a look at the Salix Startup Guide (link on homepage) if you haen't already. Have you tried spi? Thi sis a new tool (with 14.1) combining the simpler functions of slapt-get an slapt-src. You can search with just :

Code: Select all

spi $PACKAGENAME
without root privileges.
skrotnisse

Post by skrotnisse »

Welcome to Salix (I'm a new user too)!
Maybe systemd is excelent, but I've never liked it.
salixious

Post by salixious »

Does this distro attract cat lovers/owners? I've never seen so many cat avatars on a Linux distro forum.
skrotnisse

Post by skrotnisse »

There are four cats living in my house. I have no choise: I have to live with them :D
I think there is a bit "cat mentality" among many of those who run linux volontairily (like me 8-) ): You do things your own way.
fleabus

Post by fleabus »

Where cats are concerned, we have absolutely no say in the matter. They run the show. :)
HP dv7-1270us - Slackware, Debian
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

When Pat decides to go with systemd (and it may even be in the next release of SLackware) we are lumbered with it, I'm afraid.
salixious

Post by salixious »

I'm disappointed to hear that. Hmmm...there's still one of the BSD spins I could try, but I've read that BSD does not use EXT file systems, so I'd have to possibly look at other methods of setting up shared data partitions.

If nothing else, I can always use Salix as my second Linux distro in a dual-boot environment, which I'm currently doing on one of my two laptops.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

If systemd can be done well (or the least badly) Pat is surely the one to do it; and he may not for some time or ever. It just does seem to be the way the wind is blowing though.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Meh, systemd. My 2 cats don't sweat systemd. So I don't either.

Bsd? I'd rather run Puppy (I have 6 dogs also). Does not Crunchbang already run on systemd?

If you go by avatars. I guess I am a penguin biker lover.