Laptop lenovo G50-70: agpart disabled

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
san2ban
Douche bag

Laptop lenovo G50-70: agpart disabled

Post by san2ban »

Ihave installed Salix XFCE 14.0 on this laptop, which had only 'FreeDos' and later updated it to 14.1. While booting, subject message is displayed as the boot scripts run. This hasan inbuilt graphics card. Does that mean that it is disabled?
This laptop has a webcam, but I cannot activate it.
I cannot configure the sound settings. Volume level not displayed

Is there anyspecific package for this laptop that needs to be loaded to activate all these features? Can somebody guide me as to how to tweak this laptop?
When you have eliminated all other possibilities, whatever remains, however impossible or improbable, that must be the truth
Sanjay
Registered Linux User: # 535257
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Laptop lenovo G50-70: agpart disabled

Post by gapan »

You're not providing any information, so it's hard for anyone to help.

The message itself doesn't mean much. And no, your graphics card is not disabled.

But you'll need to provide information like what graphics card you have, lspci output etc...
westms

Post by westms »

san2ban wrote:Ihave installed Salix XFCE 14.0 on this laptop, which had only 'FreeDos' and later updated it to 14.1. While booting, subject message is displayed as the boot scripts run.
This laptop I do not have and can not really help, but a little attempt with the following:
First, it should be agpgart, not agpart.
This hasan inbuilt graphics card. Does that mean that it is disabled?
I think, the message means that kernel module agpgart is not loaded. Agpgart is the AGP bus driver.
If the AGP bus driver is not available, then the graphics hardware is controlled via the PCI bus driver. This can lead to performance degradation and entail further restrictions, but the graphics work.
I cannot configure the sound settings. Volume level not displayed
Try: In Salix menu, menu item Multimedia: select the xfce4-mixer (don't know the real English term), then button: Select Controls. Add the required controls.
If there are no controls visible, then the hardware could be not recognized properly.
Is there anyspecific package for this laptop that needs to be loaded to activate all these features?
In some laptop reviews is reported that Linux fully supports this hardware. Once it is claimed that the multi-touchpad is not fully supported.
san2ban
Douche bag

Post by san2ban »

Code: Select all

[code]san2ban[~]$ su
Password: 
root[san2ban]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 0a0c (rev 0b)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 10)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
root[san2ban]# 
[/code]

Pl. indicate what other details I should provide, so that I can use all the features in this laptop. Mainly, webcam is unusable as of now
When you have eliminated all other possibilities, whatever remains, however impossible or improbable, that must be the truth
Sanjay
san2ban
Douche bag

Post by san2ban »

I have posted the lspci output as asked by gapan. Still, no response from anybody?
Sanjay
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

If by problem you mean the message you get, it's exactly as westms described it. It's quite possible the message will disappear in future kernel versions.

I'm guessing that unless you want to do heavy 3D stuff, your graphics card is working just fine as it is.
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

I have a B50-45. Different hardware. Yours is supposed to have 2 adapters, one for light tasks (consumes less power) and one for heavy work or games.
I would not expect the hardware on this to work with Salix - this is not the strong point of the distro. the only distro that works with all hw out of the box on mine is (x)ubuntu 14.10 (i set repos to LTS after installation). others had probs with sound, brightness buttons, graphics drivers.

I use Salix on an old desktop box now as I wanted a fast, stable, non systemd distro where compiling programs works easily.
san2ban
Douche bag

Post by san2ban »

I hold true to slackware / salix. Buntus ruled out. Will struggle like this
Sanjay
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

by now sound works, only problem is webcam?

is this yours?

Lenovo G50-70 Laptop Computer - 59427090 - Black - 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4510U (2.00GHz 1600 MHz 4MB)

Processor - 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4510U (2.00GHz 1600 MHz 4MB)
Operating System - Windows 8.1 64
Memory - 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Graphics Card - Intel HD Graphics 4400
Hard Drive - Hybrid 500GB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD

I'm a Debian user and there you have firmware packages that sometimes are needed. Or you could check Lenovos driver page and see if they
have linux drivers or firmware.

you have only 1 graphics adapter, I got model wrong there is a great number of models
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

compile newer kernel?