Lessee what we have here....

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
Megamieuwsel

Lessee what we have here....

Post by Megamieuwsel »

Okay,
Trying out this Salix xfce-thingy (64 bit) to see if it's a worthy replacement for Vector.(Where I'm known as SuSE-Refugee and currently: Megamieuwsel)
First impressions are good: 1 app/task is what I tried to get through at VL too, but they never bought it...
A LOT faster than comparative VL. :D

The down-sides:
-Root=disabled...
Call me a control-freak, but I HATE sudo; anything that requires these priveleges should be done by root ONLY.
Safely locked away behind a strong password.
Means I'll have to create a root-account. Not too much of a biggie.

-On the other end of the spectrum: It won't allow me (easily that is, I think I can figure out a means anyway) to create a passwordless login for guest-users.
I do have a need for such an account...

And I don't like the ridiculous restriction on name-length, this forum imposes upon the users; "Megamieuwsel", which is my world-wide Internet-name(and official trademark btw..). :cry:
12 characters is NOT long for a name.(just ask the Welsh...)

And I'll have to figure out how to get Chrome on this system.(Yes; I need that one specifically, since Adobe screwed Linux with their Flash-player)
<crappy sig>
icaroperseo
Donor

Re: Lessee what we have here....

Post by icaroperseo »

Maybe You can find something useful here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... me-938558/.

Moreover, you can also make use of Chromium as an alternative to it. Here you can find the package to install: http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/tag/chromium/

Regards...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Hi Gargel, welcome to Salix! :)
Gargel wrote:-On the other end of the spectrum: It won't allow me (easily that is, I think I can figure out a means anyway) to create a passwordless login for guest-users.
I do have a need for such an account...
You can create an account with a valid password first, then login with that account and use the passwd command to change it to anything you want, including nothing at all.
Gargel wrote:And I don't like the ridiculous restriction on name-length, this forum imposes upon the users; "Megamieuwsel", which is my world-wide Internet-name(and official trademark btw..). :cry:
12 characters is NOT long for a name.(just ask the Welsh...)
I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: done, but now you probably need to log in with your new (old) username.
Megamieuwsel

Post by Megamieuwsel »

First off: THANKS! for the name-adjustment. :D
Feels more like me already.

And yep: found the chromium-package icaroperseo mentioned; Works fine, but... No FLASH and the online game I play requires it....
But then again; I'm kinda fed up with it(that game, I mean) anyway, so I think I can do without.

As for the other issue(s); They'll have to wait 'till I have my new Iron; Old one's showing signs of getting fried.(Just barely managed to salvage my personal data from it...)
I'm eying a HP Pavillion....
So that'll be a fresh re-start in a few days from now.
<crappy sig>
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Megamieuwsel wrote:And yep: found the chromium-package icaroperseo mentioned; Works fine, but... No FLASH and the online game I play requires it....
But then again; I'm kinda fed up with it(that game, I mean) anyway, so I think I can do without.
You should be able to find the pepperflash package (or similarly named, don't remember right now) somewhere in that same site.
jcoleman

Post by jcoleman »

Wanted flash working myself in Chromium and checked out Alien Pastures ("alienbob"). Has a newer chromium and pepperflash download along with a plugin for Netflix. Slowing drifting away from Firefox at times but still use.

http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/peopl ... ackbuilds/

hope it helps
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:software:google-chrome << this will get netflix for you.

This is an old post, but still works. Installing google-chrome-pam-solibs isn't necessary with the latest version of chrome.
ImageImage