Adventures in Slackel Fluxbox 32 bit

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
rokytnji

Adventures in Slackel Fluxbox 32 bit

Post by rokytnji »

My 64 gig pata SSD drive on my M&A companion broke at the zif connector clip on the hard drive. My bad of course.
So I popped in a questionable 30 gig Samsung pata platter zif drive in its place and decided to give Slackel a roll.

Downloaded the iso twice. Because md5sum from sourceforge does not match terminal md5sum readout.
PM'd developer djemos here on the forum. Because after activating my account at his forum.
I was kicked out. No biggy though to me. I am a happy camper. Was just letting him know about
the md5sum mismatch.

I guess djemos is partying this holiday weekend. I be barbecuing myself also and drinking beer.
OK. Back to Slackel adventures. My md5sum in terminal was consistently matched so I figured
my download was cool. So I went on a did "dd" for the hybrid iso. Looking good so far.

Ran the installer after making my /swap partition and things are looking good.
Reboot. Connect wifi in wicd. Opened Gslapt and updated and upgraded.

Broke batti on taskbar. Upower error on something broke. I'd go into detail but you will see why I can't later.
So I run a a couple of text files in /home that run internet radio through terminal using mplayer as the tool to play the stations. So I install Smplayer since I know it pulls in mplayer2.

After I finish and open Smplayer to make sure it works. I try my radio text file. Nothing.
So knowing it relies on mplayer. I decide to run mplayer in terminal.
Error on not finding /usr/lib/libpng14.so (doing this from memory)

So, I dial in my desktop and install conky and run my .conkyrc with a battery readout so to bypass
the broken batti . I edit ~/.fluxbox/starup and do conky& and comment out batti&.
All is right with the world. Then my desktop freezes. WTF? Long story short. My iffy 30 gig drive
is more than iffy. It is fubar like the SSD. Hence why I cannot post exact error messages.

So this bull session kinda concludes with me ordering a new 30 gig zif pata hard drive from ebay.
But nooooooo. I got a idea! Lets break out the class 10 16 GIG SD card and install Slackel on that.
So I start over and run the live installer and point it to the sd card and let it do the full install there.
Reboot. Looks real good. Greeted with green pretty grass screen and count down. I press space key
to continue boot up. Looking good. Booola.

Kernel Panic. So concludes Roks adventures with Slackel 32 bit Fluxbox on a platter 30 gig drive and a 16 SD card drive.

I guess I'll wait till ebay ships me the new 30 gig drive. With the new ribbon 40 pin zif cable I ordered.
Then rinse and repeat later on. Now on to drinking some more Red Stripe Beer.

Happy Trailz, Rok
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Adventures in Slackel Fluxbox 32 bit

Post by djemos »

mdsum for both 32 and 64 bit are ok.
I have downloaded both images and have checked them.
I booted live iso 32 bit on virtualbox and everything is working fine.
Then i did an upgrade.
Next i upgrade glibc and kernel.
sudo slapt-get -i glibc kernel-firmware kernel-headers kernel-huge-smp kernel-modules-smp
and of cource before reboot i run lilo -v
Reboot and log in X
exaile and whaamp don't work even they are working on slackel-openbox. I do not have time to look at it.
So i installed smplayer. This also installs MPlayer (not mplayer2, need recompile because of libpng16)
I played some mp3 and video files on smplayer without any problem.

Edit: I installed gst-plugins-good and gst-plugins-good0 and exaile and whaamp are working fine.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Just to show what I mean better by saying I run a radio in terminal using mplayer2.
This is off my other netbook running AntiX.

Code: Select all

$ ./clir
[3;J

.................................................................................
 ·             select a station and play             ·
 ·                                                   ·
 · [space] to pause, [q] to stop, [Ctrl]+[c] to quit ·
 ·····················································

·    1   Addict Alternative     2   Audio Ink       ·
 ·    3   Addict Rock            4   The Buzz        ·
 ·    5   Power_Rock             6   Schizophonic    ·
 ·    7   80s radio              8   Rock-Radio      ·
 ·    9   90s Radio             10   Radio Xenu      ·
 ·   11   WFMU                  12   Rage Radio      ·
 ·   13   KikiNovak Radio       14   AGX             ·
 ·   15   Progressive           16   BadRok Radio    ·
 ·   17   Classic Gator Rock    18   All Dixie Rock  ·
 ·   19   AMPZ Adult            20   106 Radio       ·

select a  number  from 1 to 20 then hit [Enter]

Playing http://www.radionovak.com:8000/radionovak.ogg.
Resolving www.radionovak.com for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: www.radionovak.com
Resolving www.radionovak.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server www.radionovak.com[62.210.209.120]: 8000...
Name   : Radio Novak
Genre  : Various
Public : yes
Bitrate: 128kbit/s
Cache size set to 320 KiB
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)   
Detected file format: Ogg (libavformat)
[lavf] stream 0: audio (vorbis), -aid 0, Black gold
Selected audio codec: Vorbis [libavcodec]
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 1 ch, floatle, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 1ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:  22.1 (22.1) of 6232573214720.0 (1731270337:25:20.0)  3.1% 18A:  22.2 (22.2) of 6232573214720.0 (1731270337:25:20.0)  3.1% 18A:  22.3 (22.3) of 6232573214720.0 (1731270337:25:20.0)  3.1% 19A: A:  22.9 (22.8) of 62325732147A:  23.0 A: A: A:  29.7 (29.7) of 6232573214720.0 (1731270337:25:20.0)  3.1% 16% 
Thanks for the reply back djemos . My post will be short as my ISP is down due to Texas weather conditions
and I am only online as long as my jetpack holds a charge.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I told you to not install mplayer2. Install MPlayer
sudo slapt-get -i MPlayer
in a terminal i run
mplayer http://www.radionovak.com:8000/radionovak.ogg
and i can hear the radio.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

djemos wrote:I told you to not install mplayer2. Install MPlayer
sudo slapt-get -i MPlayer
in a terminal i run
mplayer http://www.radionovak.com:8000/radionovak.ogg
and i can hear the radio.

Just a mis-communication issue. I do get what are saying djemos. No way to implement your suggestion for now. Circumstances out of our control are the reason for this.

That install is gone. I got this far before the hard drive locked up. Not your distro spin of SaliX fault. But a hardware fault on the hard drive used instead.
https://i.imgur.com/QmUvSXi.jpg

The date shown in conky is the last day, that ran. To compound the difficulties I am having trying to run Slackel.
All outside of your control djemos. My router has been rendered useless. I think my ISP servers are under water. Because of the weather here lately in Texas.

My internet service has been out for days. It will continue to be out as the recorded message on phone says, "Massive Shutdown - No Time Line Available When Service Will Be Restored". I am only able o post using one of these.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/interne ... ifi-6620l/

I guess my user name was also kicked out and my registration nullified at your forum also.
But with my router down. No big deal to me, really, for now.

Happy Trailz, Rok
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I saw on tv what happened on Texas. I am really sorry.
About your deletion on slackel forum. I have a real problem with spam robots and even i have add captcha, there are still some robots sign in.
So i had to delete all. Since i do not know who is not robot. So if you want to register do it and also send an email to me writing the email you used to register and i will add you in forum.
I am sorry for this but until find a way to stop robots, it is the only way for registration.
withslack

Post by withslack »

Thought i would add my experiences from the slightly dryer environs of Europe ... sorry to hear about the situation rokytnji ... but find most Texans see rolling their sleeves up after a catastrophe is seen as a welcome opportunity - good people (though,dont tell a Texan,i said this ;))

Much thanks to you djemos :) ... i acquired a obstinate HP laptop with a complaining co-processor ... and attempted to install a variety of distros ... none of them managed to punch through either kernel panics or DRM notifications ..
Until i installed Slackel64-bit Fluxbox .. the whole procedure a breeze .. no booting modifications required ... the stability and versatility of Slackware and Salix goodness complemented with a glass of homemade raki.
The lack of problematic issues continue .. other than a few (expected) uncompiled Sourcery events and some drama when i tried to remove the fbpanel (it does tend to add stability to the system - that i can ignore it sitting at the bottom of the screen) ... so yeah .. i have always liked Fluxbox (from days messing with GRML) .. and PC-BSDs development of Lumina .. Fluxbox with a pep of QT ... gives added enthusiasm to research and grow.

Sorry to hear of your 'robot registration' debacle ... the downside of e-commerce,i guess .. (plus CAPTCHA tends to add its own robots) ... not sure what to suggest .. i will keep my eye out for a solution .. seems the email is playing up too - as it wont accept correctly typed verification codes .. glitches iron out eventually
Its a nice website,djemos ... some good educational links(i like your support of ET3) ... food of the mind whilst i get to grips with -current .. knowing the combined forces of the Slackware/Salix community are tweaking enthusiastically .. i notice there have been an abundance of bonzai seedlings taking root of late ;) ,which is fantastic ...
We have 'unfinished business' .. but the onus of pragmatism,is definitely on me!
Thanks always :)
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Things are looking brighter. Thanks for the well wishes.

I made it into Slackel Forums OK. Thanks to djemos .

http://www.slackel.gr/slackelmulti/xoop ... 29&forum=4

I won't upload my avatar there though as the forum kicked me out last time. Right after I did that. No biggy though.
Gathered up my pennies and treated myself to a brand new 700C Fixie Bicycle also. To celebrate.
I have 2 POS 10 dollar bicycles that I am refurbishing and decided that I wanted to cruise while I wrenched on those.
My thread is at

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175544046/

I will add to that thread I started the picture of the new bike I bought after it comes in through shipping and I assemble it.

Salix and Slackel are nice additions to my netbook collection of computers. I get these netbooks for 40 bucks or less with no operating system. Probably will ride in Boy Scout saddle bags later on the bicycles. Believe it or not. I found a set for a couple bucks at a TX flea market.

I got my cli radio going with mplayer instead of mplayer2. I followed djemos advice for whaamp also as far as gst-plugins were concerned.
Thanks for that edit. Just a self taught dude that really does not post too much. Keep to myself mostly.
But credit should always go where credit is due.

I am a happy camper with both distros. Everytime I got stumped. A helping hand was extended, while they went out of their way to hear my cries.
8-)
withslack

Post by withslack »

Not a prob,rokytnji .. :) maybe you can perfect a little bonsai to attach to handlebars with 'foss-osm ;)... sounds better than some of the proprietary tom toms that direct you into rivers,porcelain china shops and mousetrap factories!

I have always had a strange soft spot for the now sadly defunct https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MZ_Motorr ... weiradwerk .. but one wonders where the Japanese motorcycle industry would be,without a certain defecting East German engineer ;)

As for you rokytnji .. you have neighbours ;).. check them out http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/ ... ustom.html
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

@withslack.
I use fbpanel because of newbies. So slackel will be easy for them.
I have stopped robots on forum, setting 20 characters for captcha. On last week no robots signed.
When i have time, maybe i will set up a new cms for slackel.