System backup script in Perl

Other talk about Salix
GJones
Donor

System backup script in Perl

Post by GJones »

EDIT: this script did not work as advertised, due to mtime and ctime not being accurate. As such I've deleted it.

Figured I should put this up on the forums. It handles full and differential backups. Also incremental if you want, but I don't think the pain is worthwhile for that. It uses the "new" portable CPIO format, so you can decompress backups from a Salix install DVD.

Note that it uses find to track changes, so it will not track deleted files at all. This should not be a major problem, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Anyway, here it is:

EDIT: Script removed because it consistently missed files. Sorry all. Not sure yet what alternatives exist for local/incremental backup, I will investigate when I have the time though.
GJones
Donor

Re: System backup script in Perl

Post by GJones »

So: just FYI I've removed the script from the post above, as it consistently missed files - particularly stuff in /usr/bin, due to mtime/ctime not being accurate for those binaries.

Hopefully nobody else made extensive use of the script. If anyone did, be warned that your incremental backups are incomplete. The full backups should be fine though.

And yeah, this one's all on me. My apologies for the gaff; in the future I'll do more testing before posting such "helpful" content.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Take a look at rsnaphot. ;)
maximus

Post by maximus »

+1 for rsnapshot! Well recommended.