ports and tcp traffic

Other talk about Salix
jpg153
Donor

ports and tcp traffic

Post by jpg153 »

Hi there,

I am using the dnet-client (www.distributed.net) which is set up to report its activities to a special server, to count and show performance.
The report is done to an IP address on port 250 - so, something like: my.server.net:250 .

When I open a browser, I can access my.server.net.
When I try to ping my.server.net, the IP address can be resolved but packages are 100% lost.

How do I need to configure Salix14.1-64bit to connect to my.server.net and especially via port 250?

Running same dnet-client on Windows7prof. I cannot ping either but the report runs via my.server.net:250.
So, its probably not the ISP (or not alone) but my Salix machine...

I tried to find a solution via linux tutorials, but other then reporting ports, I could not get further.

Thank you in advance for any hint...
Regards Gruß
jpg
westms

Re: ports and tcp traffic

Post by westms »

jpg153 wrote:Hi there,

I am using the dnet-client (http://www.distributed.net) which is set up to report its activities to a special server, to count and show performance.
The report is done to an IP address on port 250 - so, something like: my.server.net:250 .

When I open a browser, I can access my.server.net.
When I try to ping my.server.net, the IP address can be resolved but packages are 100% lost.
Hi,
a server does not need to support the Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP), then there is no answer.
If IPv6 is running between the computer and the ISP, ping6 could help.
jpg153 wrote:How do I need to configure Salix14.1-64bit to connect to my.server.net and especially via port 250?

Running same dnet-client on Windows7prof. I cannot ping either but the report runs via my.server.net:250.
So, its probably not the ISP (or not alone) but my Salix machine...
In the documentation is to read:
The client uses normal TCP/IP to communicate with keyservers.
It connects to port TCP port 2064 by default.

How is it come out to port 250?
I tried to find a solution via linux tutorials, but other then reporting ports, I could not get further.
How about this? http://www.distributed.net/Docs/de
Furthermore, there are some description files like: dnetc.txt (in this case, from package dnetc-linux-amd64.tar.gz)

For a try, you can insert a line (in the right place) in file /etc/services, like this:

Code: Select all

dnet	2064/tcp	  aliases	  #A description
But use first:

Code: Select all

man services
please.
Last edited by westms on 8. Feb 2016, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Hi,
thanks for your reply.

I thought I was specific enough..obviously not.

The problem is not with the package transfer from and to the distributed.net servers. This runs smooth.

I am crunching since many years and I started under OS/2. So I am a member of the "Team Warped (OS/2)" since long.
The team mate is running his own statistics server, giving some more details to each box and some graphical output.
So, it is exactly this connection, which I named "my.server.net" which got the problem.
It is a functionality/output of the dnetc client which is directed to "my.sever.net:250" - but which does not work
on this Salix-Box. It did in the past until I moved the machine and got a new ISP (including my incompetence to locate
and connect to the right ethernet card...) and changed from WICD to NetworkManager.

Maybe it has to do with ISP or so, but why does Windows7 do the thing?

"ping6" does not work at all.
Normal ping returns at least the IP address, but packages get lost.

So I am still curious to know how to tackle the issue...

Thanks so far.
Regards Gruß
jpg
westms

Post by westms »

jpg153 wrote:Hi,
I thought I was specific enough..obviously not.
Hello,
I am sorry to say this, but I think you are not precise enough.
The problem is not with the package transfer from and to the distributed.net servers. This runs smooth.

I am crunching since many years and I started under OS/2. So I am a member of the "Team Warped (OS/2)" since long.
The team mate is running his own statistics server, giving some more details to each box and some graphical output.
So, it is exactly this connection, which I named "my.server.net" which got the problem.
It is a functionality/output of the dnetc client which is directed to "my.sever.net:250" - but which does not work
on this Salix-Box. It did in the past until I moved the machine and got a new ISP (including my incompetence to locate
You moved the machine or you moved your working Salix installation to an different machine? And then the statistic data transfer did not run anymore? Or was it after switching to a new ISP?
Maybe it has to do with ISP or so, but why does Windows7 do the thing?
[...]
Normal ping returns at least the IP address, but packages get lost.
ping returns the IP address only, if resolving works. Maybe you have a typo in the domain name.

Let me try another way:

The first approach:
You told about Salix14.1-64bit and Windows 7 in your first message.

Is it one computer with two OS installations on it? Do you use firewalls running on the OSes? The firewall on Salix could be configured differend (after moving).
Do you use proxies now?

Are it two computers? After your second message, I believe there are two. If so, do you use a (DSL-)router? Do you use a (/an addional) firewall on the router? The firewall on the router could be configured differend with respect to the two network port.

The firewall(s) could suppress your "dnet" packets. A firewall filters each packet based on some information from the packet. The port number is one of this information for e.g. TCP and UDP protcolls.

Your port 250 is not in the list of the system ports also called "well-known ports" (ports 0-1023). Neither is it in the list of registered ports (ports 1024-49151) nor in the list of dynamic ports (ports 49152–65535).

The firewalls and the ISP may filter out packets with unknown or unwanted port numbers. But you say, its running on your Windows 7 installation. Then it can not be the ISP, but a firewall or a proxy.

The second approach:
There may be a very different reason causing your problem.

With respect to your example "my.server.net", that is (almost) a fully qualified domain name (FQDN). After it is relovlved, it gets an IP address like 50.63.202.104 . A combination of FQDN and port number or a combination of IP address and port number is nothing. The port number needs to be assigned to a protocoll from the transport layer, like TCP or UDP. The port number then is used together with a protocoll from the application layer, like HTTP, FTP, SMTP, ...

Your webbrowser uses HTTP and a known port number automatically and can use HTTPS and FTP. But what does your dnet client use automatically to transfer the statistic data? If this progamm is simple enough, it will need an exact configuration for the URL. Have a lock to your Windows 7 dnet client configuration.

Is there something like http://my.server.net:250 or https://my.server.net:250 or ftp://my.server.net:250 or smtp://my.server.net:250 or so on? How did you configure it for your Salix installation in comparison? If you only use my.server.net:250 and the dnet client has no default protocoll built in, then I think that is the reason.

There are other reasons possible, but that is already cluttered.

Good luck.
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

well,

trying to put things together:
Salix14.1 ist running on my PC.
Win7 is running on a laptop/notebook.
The ISP is unitymedia. The router is supplied by unitymedia (technicolor) and connects to
the Salix14.1-PC via Ethernet cable and to the Win7 laptop via Wlan.

The setup of both dnet clients is the same, apart from the fact, they are built for each platform specifically.

The capability of the dnet client is unknown to me, but it worked (in Win7 still) until I move the PC and the Laptop
from my former home to my new home, and by that changing the ISP.
When I move the Win7 laptop to other network systems, it reports to the staticśtics server flawless.

I have not installed any firewall software - not in Salix or in Windows... to my knowledge.

I agree, I cannot tell you enough details to do more than "hinting"...

Thanks so far.
Regards Gruß
jpg
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

This has definitely nothing to do with Salix itself. Most probably something with your router and opening some port there.

Try swapping the IPs between your windows and salix PCs. I'm guessing salix will start working and windows will stop working.