[Solve]How to package a kernel and its dependencies/modules?

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
icaroperseo
Donor

[Solve]How to package a kernel and its dependencies/modules?

Post by icaroperseo »

Good day!

I'm trying to create a package for the kernel 4.1.1 (huge) following the steps indicated in the wiki (http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_compile_kernel), taking the Pat's configuration file for this version (ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/s ... -4.1.1.x64) as well as his SlackBuild (ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/s ... .18.11.x64) modifying only the version that appears into the SlackBuild file.

For now I've done is this:

I downloaded the kernel source code (tar.xz file) and I unzipped the file in my home dir.

In the working directory (linux-4.1.1), I've done is this:

Code: Select all

make mrproper
I downloaded the config-huge-4.1.1.x64 file and I renamed as .config.

Then:

make oldconfig 
make
This process was undertaken properly. Next, I downloaded the following files in the working folder: slack-desc, kernel-huge.SlackBuild and I ran the following:

fakeroot ./kernel-huge.SlackBuild
the package is created as expected but when reviewing its content, in the directory boot (into the created package) only appear the following: config-huge-4.1.1, System.map-huge-4.1.1, is to say, vmlinux is missing. I must say that I also tested following:

sudo ./kernel-huge.SlackBuild
with the same results.

Am I missing something? Is there something (tutorial, SlackBuild/slkbuild) that I can base to build the firmware packages and modules as well?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by icaroperseo on 9. Jul 2015, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: How to package a kernel and its dependencies/modules?

Post by gapan »

You'll have to build and install the kernel+modules first. The SlackBuild does not do that for you. It only packages an already installed kernel.
icaroperseo
Donor

Re: How to package a kernel and its dependencies/modules?

Post by icaroperseo »

gapan wrote:You'll have to build and install the kernel+modules first. The SlackBuild does not do that for you. It only packages an already installed kernel.
I should have imagined :lol: . Thanks a lot gapan!