General MATE 1.8 suggestions thread

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Orion

General MATE 1.8 suggestions thread

Post by Orion »

MATE is an excellent DE, but after I thought of a few suggestions to enhance its excellence, I decided to make this thread and make a few suggestions.

It may not be groundbreaking, but I think there needs to be an option where you can right click on the main menu item on a panel and then you can change its logo; because I personally want to change it to the old Salix logo, like in this screenshot below:

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: General MATE 1.8 suggestions thread

Post by gapan »

You're right. Unfortunately the icon is hardcoded now. You will find that it points to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/salix.svg. So you can replace that with the one of your liking (it's in here). Similarly there are other, png icons in various sizes in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/$SIZE/apps/salix.png if you find changing the svg doesn't work somewhere.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Thank you gapan, that did the trick for me.

It's a simple solution, although others who similarly want to change the icon wouldn't know how unless searching online.
maroman

Post by maroman »

to continue the thread. one comment on clock applet. it should show (on the taskbar) both time and weather? in my case I can't set any options to show weather. There were no problem with Mate 1.4, but it doesn't work (only for me?) in Mate 1.8. does anyone see temperature and weather for a fixed location? are there any hidden options? if you sign checkbox to set weather the taskbar is a little wider but nothing happens.

cheers,
ride your bike
--
salix 14.1 (fluxbox, mate) on ancient boxes
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, the weather doesn't show on the panel. You have to click the clock to show the weather at the bottom. If you want the weather shown in the panel, you need to use the weather applet.
maroman

Post by maroman »

gapan wrote:No, the weather doesn't show on the panel.
the good news is that the issue has been fixed in new mate. I've tested the latest ubuntu-mate with mate 1.10 and weather can be set in a second.

cheers,
ride your bike
--
salix 14.1 (fluxbox, mate) on ancient boxes